• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need advice in career path/job

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm new here. I need some advice guys. The languages I know are Java, PHP, a little bit of .NET, CSS, HTML, and JavaScript. I graduated a year ago with a Computer Science Degree without any work experience and internship. I like Java a lot, so I've been looking for a job in the programming field (JAVA area), but I haven't been able to find work. I applied for PHP developer. I was employed for like 2 months, then I got laid off from that company. Finding your first job is hard without work experience. It's been like 4 months since I got laid off and I'm getting a bit frustrated that I haven't been able to find work in my area. Should I just go with any kind of programming job right and gain the experience and then switch to Java? In the long run, I want to become a Java developer. How can I reach that goal in becoming a Java developer. Most Java jobs I've seen need Java EE, Spring, Hiberate, etc. Should I consider taking Java Certifications. I hope you guys understand my situation. What should I do?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Calvin,
Why Java? If you got a job developing in, say Ruby, what's wrong with that?

Yes, you should take a job in any language. It is easier to witch language than start with no experience. You'll change languages many times in your career anyway. You'll also use many languages over the course your career.

Kevin Bowen
Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Calvin,
Why Java? If you got a job developing in, say Ruby, what's wrong with that?

Yes, you should take a job in any language. It is easier to witch language than start with no experience. You'll change languages many times in your career anyway. You'll also use many languages over the course your career.

I chose Java because that's the language I know best. I've used Java throughout my CS courses in college, but I haven't done any like huge projects with Java. I read Java is an open language like you can make mobile application, desktop applications, web applications, and many more. I don't have any Ruby knowledge, so that's why I wouldn't choose that area right now. I also know PHP. I made my own website in PHP. I don't want go down with PHP in the long run though. I've read many people's comments saying that PHP are only used in small-medium businesses and the pay-rate for PHP developers aren't as great as other languages. The first job I got out of college was using PHP specifically working with eCommerce. Then, I got laid off in like 2 months. Because of that, I feel like PHP jobs aren't stable and they don't value their developers. I'm just afraid once I choose PHP to start with, how am I suppose to transition to let's say Java jobs or other languages. Should I just find a PHP job just for the experience right now? Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Calvin,

You might brush up your Java skills so that you are interview-ready. Also, a basic certification might help you (but do so in parallel to your job search - you might get job even before you clear certification).

Apart from that, I agree with Jeanne's reply. Almost all the times, there's no guarantee which language or technology you land in your first job.

So - to get deeper understanding of programming concepts in general, and displaying flexibility to work in any language/technology would also be helpful. You can (and mostly will) change language/technology later on.

I hope this helps.

All The Best!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic