• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

working as a a handicaped

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear friends,
I am 36 years old and have no work experience so far, I started searching for a job two months ago; I finished two high schools and computer science University. Should I apply for any job I have a chance working for and even if it isn't my love number 1(that's PHP)? I am also learning some Java, finished some Java courses, but I wouldn't work all my life as a Java programmer - I prefer PHP?
I didn't work so far, because I was hospitalized seven times in mental hospital up to one year each and they now want me to give a status of handicaped person what means I would get a job but working for ~700EUR per month and I couldn't afford even to pay for my therapist (I have him now for free because I am unemployed).

Please advice, thanks and warmly, Gregor from Slovenia

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Grega Leskovšek wrote: I finished two high schools and computer science University.

What does "finished two high schools" mean? In the United States, high school means grades 9-12 or 10-12. (which is where students go from ages 14-18 or so. I'm guessing it works differently in your country?

Grega Leskovšek wrote: I am also learning some Java, finished some Java courses, but I wouldn't work all my life as a Java programmer

You won't work all your life as a Java developer because languages change over time. In 20 years, it is likely that we are all working on something else. Even if we are just talking about the next 5 years, you are better off trying to get any programming job. That way you can show you have experience.

As far as being handicapped, I assume you are familiar with the local laws in your country. They vary from country to country so I don't have any specific advice there.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In this country (Britain), it is illegal to fail to employ somebody who is handicapped if it is possible to alter the workplace to enable them to work. If somebody cannot walk, it would be necessary to do building work to allow access to the workplace, canteen, WC, etc in a wheelchair. In fact larger companies are obliged to employ a certain number of handicapped people. In the case of programming you might consider letting them know that your handicap does not prevent you from working. As Jeanne says, the law in Slovenija is doubtless different, so you would have to check. Are there trade unions or similar which can advise you?

Grega Leskovšek
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
fnished Gymnasium in 1998 and High school in Economics in 2005, because I was unemployed and parents suggested me to do that.
Gymansium is four years long 14-18age, I needed 6 years and I needed t odo another ~20 exams for economics high school and a two fianl exams(1 exam and one seminar). I neeed five years for that and I finished when I was already in the second grade of computer science University.
I do not want to tell my employers that I am handicaped , because they will think that I willl not be able to stand the pressure / finish work / or that I am lazy.
By the law I must tell them that I am on medicine and once I get a regular job for the indefinite time they cannot fire me anymore (or very diffcultly)

By the way I have two diagnosis: paranoid schizofrenia and obssesive compulsive disorder, but the ppsychiatrist are very optimistic about my case, warmly, Gregor

Bartender
Android Python PHP C++ Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are looking for higher monthly revenue, then perhaps you can think of freelancing.
It can be an additional revenue stream, as well as a way to indulge in the technologies you like. PHP projects are by far the most requested ones on freelancing sites like elance and odesk.
Most buyers on online freelancing portals are ok - in fact prefer - remote workers, and are not bothered at all about medical conditions as long
as you deliver promised results.

Another source of jobs is Hacker news where every month there's a "seeking freelancer" thread. Here is this month's.
Most of these are SV startups and are usually ok with remote work. Being skilled in Ruby and RoR is a plus there.
I've read that Slovenia itself has a vibrant startup scene, so you can try moonlighting as a freelancer to your local companies.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic