• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Want to move towards Architect Role

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Guys,
I am currently working as a Senior Java developer and in future want to move in architect role.
Please let me know how can i begin with this ? what is the way that i should opt.
I would like to know if reading matters in this role then please suggest me some some books...

Thanks in advance....

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Pari,
Welcome to CodeRanch!

Do you have experience in design? If not, I recommend starting there. Such as with the Gang of Four patterns. Also, learn about technologies at a higher level. Why do different ones get chosen. Why is your application organized the way it is.

I recommend the book "97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know." It's a thin book, but it gives you a feel for some of the moving parts.

pari Nagda
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Pari,
Welcome to CodeRanch!

Do you have experience in design? If not, I recommend starting there. Such as with the Gang of Four patterns. Also, learn about technologies at a higher level. Why do different ones get chosen. Why is your application organized the way it is.

I recommend the book "97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know." It's a thin book, but it gives you a feel for some of the moving parts.

Hi Jeanne ,

Thanks for suggestion.
I also heard the name of this book earlier that is "97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know". As of now i started to read a book named "patterns of enterprise application architecture" which was
published in 2002 ,But surly i will take a look at the book you suggested .

I could not understand one of your points " learn about technologies at a higher level .." .
Can you please put some light on it.

Thanks

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic