• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Read calling number from modem

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, I am creating an application with having a callerID module. This module is to read calling phone number from modem. I have googled and reference many SerialPort related stuff but could not find a concrete solution. I am able to detect phone ring using serialEvent with javax.comm jar
I am wondering if AT commands can be used to read/get calling phone number. I also referred following AT commands:
AT+CLIP
AT+VCID
AT+CNUM

But I could not be able to get a concluding solution. Here are my main questions:
1. Is it possible to read calling phone number using AT commands or any other alternative
2. Which AT command can be used and how to send from java application..

Looking forward for quick help/guide.

Marshal
VSCode Eclipse IDE TypeScript Redhat MicroProfile Quarkus Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The AT commands for extended operations vary between modem makes and models. Also, not all modems support CLID. Exactly which modem are you using?

Sanjoo Singh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
m using USB modem.

Sanjoo Singh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ron, is it possible to create a generic method or any command/method available, which can provide the caller's number?

Ron McLeod
Marshal
VSCode Eclipse IDE TypeScript Redhat MicroProfile Quarkus Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

using USB modem

Exactly which vendor and model of USB modem?

is it possible to create a generic method or any command/method available, which can provide the caller's number?

No, there is no standard for controlling the modem's calling line feature.

The first step is to verify that your telephony provider offers calling line service, and that your subscription includes the service (or in the case of an office PBX, that the PBX has the feature and that it is enabled for your line). Note that there are many (non-compatible) protocols used to deliver calling line information - you will need to ensure the your modem supports the protocol used by service/equipment you are connecting to.

Next, determine if the modem you want to use supports the calling line feature. The best way is to start with the make and model number, and search for the user manual or technical reference. If you find a document for the device, check to see if the feature is supported and which AT command(s) used to control it. Also check the protocols it supports, and verify that it is compatible with the telephony service/equipment. If you cannot locate an information, you could try a variety of AT commands used by different modem and hope you get lucky. Try each one and see if any respond with OK.

The more command strings are:
        AT+VCID=1
        AT+CLIP=1
        AT#CID=1
        AT%CCID=1
        AT#CC1
        AT*ID1

Sanjoo Singh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for this explanation. I will try these commands & follow your guidelines and will update here.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic