• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Forum rules - I am depress

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have some questions which make me a little depress.

1 - Why I not allowed to keep my name Borat Sagdiyev ?
2 - Why I not allowed to keep that name in signature ?

As long as people not keep their name coolboy553, it okay. Borat is not bad name.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have moved this question to the "Ranch Office" forum where we talk about this site, its policies etc.

Please read http://www.javaranch.com/name.jsp in full; it explains why real-sounding names are required. I removed it from your signature; since it obviously clashed with your screen name, it was causing confusion.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And I have also removed the image you have just added to this post - since this is a discussion about forum rules (and not Meaningless Drivel), it had no place here. I hope you understand.

Ali Gordon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:I have moved this question to the "Ranch Office" forum where we talk about this site, its policies etc.

Please read http://www.javaranch.com/name.jsp in full; it explains why real-sounding names are required. I removed it from your signature; since it obviously clashed with your screen name, it was causing confusion.

I'll accept it the way it is. But it sucks to not be able to be the real me.

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you abandon the Borat persona, you will have the opportunity to practice generating proper English prose of such limpid clarity and poetic resonance that your next cover letter will be a glittering marvel of linguistic beauty, destined to bring potential employers crawling on their knees in supplication that you might disdainfully consider working for them. We're just trying to help you help yourself. Honestly.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Simply put, because Borat is a fictional character. And I believe you told us it isn't your real name. If someone wants to use a "pen name", that is ok. It just has to send real and not be announced that it is a fake name.

Some people do have names that sound fake. Bear Bibeault is one. However, we showed us Bear really is his name.

Companies have rules. Websites have rules. Learning how to accept that is a job skill. Why not practice here and pretend you like or accept the policy?

Ali Gordon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Simply put, because Borat is a fictional character. And I believe you told us it isn't your real name. If someone wants to use a "pen name", that is ok. It just has to send real and not be announced that it is a fake name.

Some people do have names that sound fake. Bear Bibeault is one. However, we showed us Bear really is his name.

Companies have rules. Websites have rules. Learning how to accept that is a job skill. Why not practice here and pretend you like or accept the policy?

Okay. With heavy heart, I have to accept rules and move on. This is a more sad than death of my wife ;)

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Python Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ali Gordon wrote:This is a more sad than death of my wife ;)

Not entirely sure what to make of this.... If it's a joke, then it's a very inappropriate one. If you're for real, then.... well I'm not quite sure what then.

Either way there's no doubt that it's in extremely poor taste.

Tim Cooke
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ali Gordon wrote:I have to accept rules and move on

But it turns out you haven't quite done this. You've merely moved the text presenting your Borat persona from your Signature to the Biography section in your profile page

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@Tim: That text has been in his profile for a while. I think we shouldn't give it too much importance, given that "Ali G" was a character played by Sacha Baron Cohen in the past. I suspect that sentence you quoted was meant to be in Borat's vein.

@Ali: I suggest you clean up your act here. We don't suffer fools gladly.

Tim Cooke
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ulf, I didn't even see the Ali G reference until you said it. I think you're probably right about the other sentence too. All very strange indeed.

Ali Gordon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Okay, I accept rules without conditions. Henceforth, I adhere to them strictly. It is such a sad day for me. My other forum account have been suspend for 3 day because of language, despite
make tutorial style answers for people that I barely know. Everybody in coderanch hate me. Terrible things are happen to me. I would not wish such fate on my enemy.

Anyway, back to not being Boratish anymore.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic