• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat - 403 Access Denied

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I tried to access the tomcat admin console thrice with wrong login info. I think because of that , tomcat locked me out. I got an error given below and tried some solutions for it which
did not help. Can someone please give me a solution or even reasons for the error ? My glassfish is also not working.
Because of this, I am not able to learn web services. Now, even tomcat is not working. so, I cannot even build my Jsp-Servlets project and I cannot continue my spring lessons. Please help.

403 Access Denied

You are not authorized to view this page.

If you have already configured the Manager application to allow access and you have used your browser's back button, used a saved book-mark or similar then you may have triggered the cross-site request forgery (CSRF) protection that has been enabled for the HTML interface of the Manager application. You will need to reset this protection by returning to the main Manager page. Once you return to this page, you will be able to continue using the Manager appliction's HTML interface normally. If you continue to see this access denied message, check that you have the necessary permissions to access this application.

If you have not changed any configuration files, please examine the file conf/tomcat-users.xml in your installation. That file must contain the credentials to let you use this webapp.

For example, to add the manager-gui role to a user named tomcat with a password of s3cret, add the following to the config file listed above.

<role rolename="manager-gui"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="s3cret" roles="manager-gui"/>
Note that for Tomcat 6.0.30 onwards, the roles required to use the manager application were changed from the single manager role to add the following four roles. (The manager role is still available but should not be used as it avoids the CSRF protection). You will need to assign the role(s) required for the functionality you wish to access.

manager-gui - allows access to the HTML GUI and the status pages
manager-script - allows access to the text interface and the status pages
manager-jmx - allows access to the JMX proxy and the status pages
manager-status - allows access to the status pages only
The HTML interface is protected against CSRF but the text and JMX interfaces are not. To maintain the CSRF protection:

users with the manager-gui role should not be granted either the manager-script or manager-jmx roles.
if the text or jmx interfaces are accessed through a browser (e.g. for testing since these interfaces are intended for tools not humans) then the browser must be closed afterwards to terminate the session.
For more information - please see the Manager App HOW-TO.

Marshal
VSCode Eclipse IDE TypeScript Redhat MicroProfile Quarkus Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ali Gordon wrote:I tried to access the tomcat admin console thrice with wrong login info. I think because of that , tomcat locked me out. ...
403 Access Denied

What was the message and/or result code when you initially tried using the wrong credentials (before the the third time)?

Have you ever been able to sign-in to the management GUI successfully?

Ali Gordon
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ron McLeod wrote:

Ali Gordon wrote:I tried to access the tomcat admin console thrice with wrong login info. I think because of that , tomcat locked me out. ...
403 Access Denied

What was the message and/or result code when you initially tried using the wrong credentials (before the the third time)?

Have you ever been able to sign-in to the management GUI successfully?

No, I had never tried to sign into the management GUI before this.

Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ali Gordon wrote:No, I had never tried to sign into the management GUI before this.

In that case have you configured management access ? It's disabled by default.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup. Crunchy tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic