• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCPJP 6

Greenhorn
Android Notepad Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum.
Well I am looking to apply for OCPJP 6 exam . But I need to know something:
1. 'Java SE 6 Programmer Certified Professional Upgrade Exam' or 'Java SE 6 Programmer Certified Professional Exam' ?? Which one should I apply for ? I have never given any exam. So what's the difference between them?
2. Secondly, what's the difference between OCPJP-6 and OCPJP-7? If I go for OCPJP-6 and not OCPJP-7, will there be any problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch.

If you are attempting OCPJP6 then the exam is 'Java SE 6 Programmer Certified Professional Exam' (exam 1Z0-851).

The upgrade exam is for people who already have OCPJP in an earlier version.

As for your Q2, which version to take depends on your experience. V7 needs 2 exams to get OCPJP while V6 only needs 1 exam. V7 exams are divided into 2 levels (associate OCAJP and professional OCPJP). The OCAJP7 exam is for beginners covering the fundamentals like syntax, OOP concepts, flow control. The OCPJP7 covers more advanced stuff like JDBC, NIO, threading/concurrency, collection API, some design patterns.

On the contrary, the OCPJP6 exam covers materials what every Java programmer should know. Topics range from fundamentals and OOP concepts to collection API and threading/concurrency. Simply put, if you are to compare the OCPJP6 and OCPJP7 exams, the V6 does not cover JDBC, NIO, localization and design patterns.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic