• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Write your own GUI for mongodb and the use for it in an application

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi!

1. I was thinking about making my own desktop receipe application written in java. Would mongodb be a good choice for this? Would it be stupid to try to write an GUI to that application/mongodb?

2. As a very novice java coder, would you recommend the java developer course by mongodb along side with doing the course for DBAs? Currently working as a DBA and only doing java stuff as a hobby.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Johan,
Welcome to CodeRanch!

That sounds like a fun application to learn more. Any database would be a good choice. Since your goal is to learn MongoDB, it sounds like a great choice .

The developer course assumes you know the basics of Java already. Is it safe to assume, you understand how to create classes/methods already?

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The MongoDB Java developer course is good fun and not too difficult, and it will give you a good idea of how to use Java to interact with MongoDB. You have to write some Java code, mainly completing methods that they provide, but there's also a lot of work on MongoDB itself - JSON, data structures, indexing etc - and on the JavaScript-based MongoDB shell interface. Also, you might want to practice a bit using the Java IDE before you start: they recommend IntelliJ and their sample code loads up nicely in IntelliJ, so it's easier to follow the Java examples if you're using the same tools.

If you're feeling ambitious, there's also the Spring Data MongoDB project, which gives you a more abstract standardised interface to your database code, but if I were you I'd probably work through the basics with the MongoDB course first.

Anyway, MongoDB is good fun and very easy to get started with, so good luck with your project!

johan itwastaken
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Johan,
Welcome to CodeRanch!

That sounds like a fun application to learn more. Any database would be a good choice. Since your goal is to learn MongoDB, it sounds like a great choice .

The developer course assumes you know the basics of Java already. Is it safe to assume, you understand how to create classes/methods already?

Thanks for the welcome and the your answers! Yes, I know some java. Built the classic bank application with various subclasses and methods so that isnt unfamiliar along with a GUI to it. However is it hard to write your own GUI to interact with your mongodb application?

chris webster wrote:The MongoDB Java developer course is good fun and not too difficult, and it will give you a good idea of how to use Java to interact with MongoDB. You have to write some Java code, mainly completing methods that they provide, but there's also a lot of work on MongoDB itself - JSON, data structures, indexing etc - and on the JavaScript-based MongoDB shell interface. Also, you might want to practice a bit using the Java IDE before you start: they recommend IntelliJ and their sample code loads up nicely in IntelliJ, so it's easier to follow the Java examples if you're using the same tools.

If you're feeling ambitious, there's also the Spring Data MongoDB project, which gives you a more abstract standardised interface to your database code, but if I were you I'd probably work through the basics with the MongoDB course first.

Anyway, MongoDB is good fun and very easy to get started with, so good luck with your project!

Thanks! Im been using eclipse for some time now I hope that will work. Or I might just change IDE
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic