• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to put a mongoDB on my server host

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone,

I asked earlier a question about making my chat working on the internet instead of localhost, and the answer was "You would install the web app and the DB on your hosting server". But my hoster offers only (mysql and phpmyadmin). So how can I implement my chat Mongo DB on my host. Even in the Mongo documentation, I have not found a solution.

Thanks

David Edgar

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To use any DB you need to install it. If the hosting plan you currently have does not support the particular DB you intend to use, you need to find different hosting (or use a different DB - of course, non-relational DBs aren't as easy to replace as relational DBs).

(As an aside, please use the "Post Reply" button when asking follow-up questions instead of the "New Topic" button.)

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Most consumer internet service hosts only offer mainstream SQL databases like MySQL or PostgreSQL.

If you want to host your app online using MongoDB, you could look at Heroku which provides application hosting services aimed at developers. You can opt for add-ons which include some MongoDB options, but you have to pay extra for these (the DB price will depend on how much data you want to host or transfer in/out).

Another option might be MongoLab which appears to offer MongoDB hosting, including a free basic service.

Alternatively, you could look at Amazon's various services which may allow you to run a VM including MongoDB to support your application. The services and pricing structures here are pretty complicated, so take your time to figure out what you need and what it will cost. Amazon does offer a free tier of services for an initial 12 month period which might be enough to meet your needs.

You probably need to look carefully at the various options and figure out how much you want/need to pay to get the right level of service for your needs.

David Edgar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I will use Heroku. This service sound good.

Thank you for your help.

David

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic