• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Learning curve and length of time required for Android styled Java

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeff,

I picked up a book that was very introductory on Android development but I gave it up after a while. It kind of "SLOW" in introducing topics and very detailed to a fault. Now, the thing is I need a book that will get me up to speed with Android development in a short time.

I am a bit familiar with the Eclipse environment already but I need to know will your book enable me to quickly master Android development? If Yes, how is it structured to do so? One more thing, do you know if there are any plans for Netbeans to become Android friendly soon?
Thank you.

Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
With no disrespect intended towards Jeff, few topics as complicated as software development can be "mastered quickly", so it's important to set realistic milestones towards reaching that goal. Based on my experience, it might take months or years (depending on how much time you can spend on it), and will certainly involve more sources and resources than one book.

Author
Android Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Charlsy,

My book's primary focus is to teach that part of Java -- Apache Harmony Java 6 (used by Android), to be exact -- that's relevant for Android app development. Chapter 1 introduces Eclipse and also provides an introduction to Android.

Because of the book's 1200-page book limit (and I used every page), I couldn't say much about Android in the book. For this reason, I created Appendix C.

Appendix C "Getting Started with Android" is a 96-page PDF file divided into three sections:

1) Install Android development software, create/start/explore virtual device
2) Learn architecture basics (e.g., activity architecture and resources)
3) Explore and develop three Android apps (e.g., HelloAndroid, Planets) -- you learn how to develop each app at the command line and in Eclipse contexts.

Appendix C is included in the book's code file, which you can download from http://www.apress.com/9781430264545. Click the SourceCode/Downloads tab followed by the Download Now link on that tab.

You might find Appendix C to your liking.

All the best.

Jeff

charlsy chuks
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ulf Dittmer, I appreciate the angle you are coming from on setting milestones and all that, but when your superiors are breathing heavily on your neck and timelines are buzzing amber lights
They need you to learn it quickly. I am sure you understand. Thanks for the input all the same.

Thanks Jeff,

I appreciate this. I have downloaded the material. However, the chapters and the "What You would learn area" under Full Description is so rich and hard to resist.

The Java skills necessary for Android development
The core Java language fundamentals
Classes, objects, inheritance, polymorphism, and interfaces
Advanced Java language features (such as generics)
The basic Java APIs necessary for Android (such as the String class and threading)
The Collections Framework for organizing objects
The Concurrency Utilities for simplifying multi-threading
Classic and New I/O
Networking and database access
Parsing, creating, and transforming XML documents
Additional APIs for creating and accessing ZIP and JAR files, and more

No wonder you have used up 1,200 pages . I must commend your effort in putting this together. I am sure it will make for an interesting read.

Marshal
VSCode Eclipse IDE TypeScript Redhat MicroProfile Quarkus Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

charlsy chuks wrote:Hi Ulf Dittmer, I appreciate the angle you are coming from on setting milestones and all that, but when your superiors are breathing heavily on your neck and timelines are buzzing amber lights
They need you to learn it quickly. I am sure you understand. Thanks for the input all the same.

How much time do you have to master Android development?

charlsy chuks
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow, if we consider weekends and most days after work, I would say that would be a period of at least 6 months, give or take.
I think I can work with that and set reasonable milestones as Dittmer said.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic