• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java vs Android

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeff,

I explored the contents of your book through the link available in this site. I am more confused now. I just started learning to create android apps and since a couple of months I have done nothing but reading every tutorial, every example, every article about android app that is there to read. I am under the impression while both look similar Android is different from Java ( especially classes) and that's why they use Dalvik instead of JVM. Now how come Java replaces Android? What has changed?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Java does not replace Android, or vice versa. Java is a programming language, whereas Android is a platform - which happens to use a programming language with the same language syntax and semantics as Java, but only partially the same class library, and a different binary class file format (hence the need for a different VM).

If you weren't aware of it, you may wish to learn about the Oracle_v._Google lawsuit.

Author
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi La,

My book focuses on teaching the Java language and APIs that you will probably use when creating Android apps. Note: I covered JDBC and Preferences in case you want to use them in non-Android contexts. (Android provides alternatives to JDBC and Preferences.)

I created the book to teach Java language/API basics to help developers who want to get into Android but aren't familiar with Java. Without basic Java knowledge, an aspiring Android developer would be better off using a high-level tool like Corona to do their development.

All the best.

Jeff

P.S.

Appendix C (included in the book's code file as a 96-page PDF file -- see http://www.apress.com/9781430264545) provides an introduction to Android app development in terms of tools, architecture topics, and sample apps.

La Vish
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you to both Ulf and Jeff. I am slowly getting into android app development and every bit of information helps.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic