• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Learn Java for Android Development - Missing Java technologies

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeff,

I think the approach of having a goal (android development) for learning a new technology (Java) is a great idea.

What do you think are the significant parts of the Java language that would be left out by learning the language this way?

I think Swing and JavaFX are obvious omissions and could be learned from other sources. Are there any other JSE features that you feel are important but wouldn't be covered by the book?

Congratulations, the book looks great,

Lloyd

Author
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for your kind words.

I guess that the important topic of platform security would be left out because Android doesn't support the concept of a security manager and access controller. Instead, it relies on Linux for platform security. Note that Android includes a SecurityManager class as part of its API suite. However, this class isn't used.

Java security can be thought of as containing two parts:

1) Platform security (security manager, access controller, policy files)

2) Cryptography (I believe that Android supports all of Java's cryptography APIs, at least as far as Java 6 is concerned.)

I really didn't need to include a chapter on JDBC or the Preferences API because Android has its own versions of them. However, I included these topics for two reasons:

1) The reader might want to create non-Android Java applications that work with JDBC or Preferences.

2) The reader might leverage these APIs in a web server program designed to communicate with Android apps.

All the best.

Jeff

Tell me how it all turns out. Here is a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic