• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Mappings from different table

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Suppose I currently have a @OneToMany relationship in an entity call it A (that maps to its own table) to another entity B (that maps to its own table)

And suppose the class B has a field or column in its table, lets call it c.

Is it possible to map that field c directly from A? So move it from B class (but not from B's table) into A's class (while leaving it in B's table)
So have something like this in A:

The reason this is being done is because the field c is null in all cases but 1 when returned from B, thus we are getting back 100k rows of B, where a certain field is null in all cases but 1. It would be better to not have it return with the B objects to save memory space. I guess ideally in A we would want to just have a field c (rather than a list of Cs) but that might be too much to ask for. I guess a Set<c> would make the most sense if it was a HashSet (I assume the size of this set would be 1).

But anyways is this possible to do through Hibernate annotations?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It wouldn't exactly be third normal form, in database terms, but there's no reason C couldn't have a foreign key to A as well as one to B.
Of course there's no way to ensure (in the database) that the A that C refers to is the same one that the B that C refers to.
If that makes sense.

In other words:

is what you want, but the database would allow:

So you'll have to have to code make sure that doesn't happen.

Dave Tolls
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Personally, I would provide a separate query to access the List<C> and try and get the devs to avoid using the List on B...indeed I'd remove the List from B if that was a possibility.

James Johnsona
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Dave Tolls wrote:Personally, I would provide a separate query to access the List<C> and try and get the devs to avoid using the List on B...indeed I'd remove the List from B if that was a possibility.

For clarity I am going to call what I was calling "c" before...."fieldB"

Hey David,

Ok suppose we did get rid of the List<B> completely from A. Would that work smoothly then? What annotation would you use? I'm thinking @SecondaryTable seems the most helpful. Also would we still have that @OneToMany mapping for List<fieldB> in A? I mean technically that is their relationship still.

My only concern is B had a primary key pair including A's primary key and fieldB. So A's primary key is also B's foreign key.
When entity A is saved, will hibernate be smart enough to know that List<fieldB> is mapped to Table B (which we will tell it by annotation @SecondaryTable I assume) AND that the primary key to Table B is say fieldA (which is on A) and fieldB? Do you understand my concern? Let me write another snippet describing this

Before:

And of course after we just want a List<fieldB> in A and completely forget about B together but still being able to read/write the values from List<fieldB>

We just need to make sure Hibernate KNOWS that the primary key for Table B is fieldA and fieldB. Before we explicitly did this in entity B, not sure if we can do this anymore.

Dave Tolls
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would keep the List<B> in A.
I would remove the List<C> from B, unless you interact with it directly via B.
I would provide a query to get all the C's relevant to an A.

The second sentence is optional.

The human mind is a dangerous plaything. This tiny ad is pretty safe:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic