• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What has Demandware to do with Java?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am looking for a job and there was a company in my city, biking distance, that was looking for a Java developer or .NET developer that was interested in going to study Demandware. I have no experience with the product. I have browsed a little on internet, I know what it is now. Tuning of the product goes in a script language called DMscript. That is a bit like Java or Javascript it seems. (Although in my opinion, Java is nothing like Javascript.)

I have sent them a CV through their website. That was no big effort. To my utter surprise I am invited for an interview.

My questions are:

Is programming in DMscript anything like programming in Java? I wonder why they explicitly ask for a Java programmer. Not a PHP programmer or a Delphi programmer or just any programmer.

Can you give me some links to information what programming Demandware is like. I have browsed and found out what the product exactly is, but not what a Demandware programmer should do exactly.

I am experienced in Java and .NET, but even the last three years I have worked more in C# than Java, and I am still a little confused why they invited me. To me my experience does not really connects with the job description as a programmer. There are other things, like I probably have to go to Germany and Spain and I am fluent in German and Spanish.

The interview is tomorrow, it would be a great help if you can give me some information to prepare for the interview.

Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The job may not involve working with that product 100% - other projects, or interfacing with it from other components, might be done from a variety of languages. But I think it doesn't make much sense to speculate about that when you can just bring up those questions in the interview. All they're asking for is a willingness to learn it and work with it; if it turns out that does mean 100%, then that's something to consider.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:But I think it doesn't make much sense to speculate about that when you can just bring up those questions in the interview.

Thanks Ulf. That is actually a very good question I can ask during the interview!

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Turns out that they need all sorts of people. It is quite a big company. So there is also a lot of work writing pure Java and .NET applications interfacing demandware. Thanks for your comment Ulf.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic