• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

When to go for Enterprise edition?

Ranch Hand
Scala Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

What would I need the Enterprise edition for?

In http://neo4j.com/editions/ I found Enterprise Lock Manager, Clustering and Advanced Monitoring a bit troubling to imagine when I'd need it. Does the book explain the whys/use cases for the Enterprise edition?

Jacek

Author
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Jacek

The book does actually cover some (though not all) of the enterprise level features in Neo4j, including things like the hot/online backups and high availability (HA aka clustering). The core graph functionality provided by the community and enterprise editions are the same and it is pretty easy to swap / upgrade from community to enterprise if/when you choose to. You would consider the enterprise edition if for example you had a mission critical app where you wanted to ensure your DB could handle fail over, i.e. if one node goes down, another one could take over. With the community edition there is only ever one instance, whilst the enterprise edition allows you to run multiple. The enterprise edition also provides the ability to take backups whilst the DB is running (no downtime) whilst with the community edition this would typically require a shutdown, backup and then restart. Also the enterprise edition also comes with 24/7 production support which is sometimes important for companies. So basically if you are after these enterprise level features then the enterprise edition may be for you.
Having said that, there are a fair few people out there still happily running on community edition too.

Nicki

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. It was a tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic