• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Unable to find online materials for OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 &

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have the OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 & 1Z0-804) By: Kathy Sierra; Bert Bates

As described in the appendix to the book, I went to http://mhprofessional.com/mediacenter/ and entered the ISBN of 0071771999. The search yielded the correct book. Then I entered my email for the link to the online materials.

However, the link was just http://www.mhprofessional.com/downloads/mediacenter/.zip which took me to a generic page, not a page specific for the book. Further, I was unable to locate materials to download on the site. Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong?

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Clojure Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The authors frequently ride the ranges of this here ranch. Surely, they'll eventually mosey on over and give you some assistance.

In the meantime, this is a good place to spend some time: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/extra/certification/javase-7-programmer1.html

Welcome to the ranch!

Have you posted in the JavaSE 7 and 8 certification thread? You are more likely to get a response there.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tried it and got a different email link sent to me. I recommend trying again.

Also, I moved the post to the thread Blake recommended

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Gino,

I must admit I'm a bit confused - which "online materials" are you referring to?

Thanks,

Bert

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I got the electronic version of the book (Kindle) from Amazon, and wanted to download the associated material indicated in Appendix C. Haven´t been able to get it yet.

Entered the ISBN and my email on the appropriate link, and got an email with the download link. The link points to a file with filename being the ISBN of the book, then .zip. The file is supposedly 108 MB. I can start downloading the file, but the download absolutely never finishes. I have been able to download only between 40 and 60 MB, then it brakes for no apparent reason, both with Firefox and Chrome. Resulting zip file is useless. Any server problem there?

What is worse, the email from McGrawHill Media Center (with the download link) has an email at the end, which I can contact if I need help: "If you require assistance with your download, please visit our Technical Support Center or email techsolutions@mhedu.com."

Well, guess what, just wrote to that email, and I got an immediate rejection by Google saying the user doesn´t exist:
>Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain mhedu.com by mail.eppg.com. [192.243.92.244].
>
>The error that the other server returned was:
>550 5.1.1 <techsolutions@mhedu.com>... User unknown

Ok McGrawHill, how am I supposed to download said content then? The download doesn´t work, and the support email you tell me to use doesn´t exist (how nice of you)

Can I get any help here in Java Ranch? Has anybody managed to get the full download? Do the authors know anything about this issue?

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I successfully downloaded it. I'll email someone at the publisher a link to this thread so they can look at the bad email.

Also, a hunch: try techsolutions@mheduducation.com

Raul Saavedra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:I successfully downloaded it. I'll email someone at the publisher a link to this thread so they can look at the bad email.

Also, a hunch: try techsolutions@mheduducation.com

How long ago? And was the file similar to what I indicated (ISBN dot zip?)

A large company not properly writing their own customer support email addresses in the emails they send to customers suggests quite a poorly handled Customer Service. I wouldn´t expect any ultimately effective result from "hunches" like the ones you suggest, and wouldn´t try them. They should get their act together, period. The download itself is already ridiculously slow and already problematic in the first place.

Raul Saavedra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wanted to report that today I managed to get the complete, uncorrupted zip file. After about an hour of download time though :S (Even though Speednet reports the local network I´m at has 14 Mbps download / 9 Mbps upload speeds) Anyway, got the full zip file, finally.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For anyone else who has problems, the correct address is pbg_ecommerce_custserv@mheducation.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic