• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Small question about a background check

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If they are doing a background check, do they only check if you are telling the truth, or is it a new referee interview?

Say it goes like this:
Background Checker: Hi, did Jan work for you in 2004/2005 for about a year.
HR: Yes, he did. He was gone after a year, and he completely hated us.

What will happen? My impression is that the Background Checker will only confirm that I worked there. The fact that I left after a year, already indicates I did not like the company. And this only happened to me once in my whole career of twenty years. But there is one company, well, I hated them, they hated me. Never did anything bad, fraudulence, but they would certainly not give me a good reference.

Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Each company will go to different lengths to evaluate a candidate, so there's no general answer. Checking references is not a "background check", though. And providing a reference like in your example is illegal all over the EU, so most likely in your case as well.

A background check delves into your credit history, police record etc. It's something you'd have to agree to in writing.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you. I think I understand. I never had a background check, I think it is not very customary here. Since I already gave them half a dozen referees to check, it would be no problem. I even have a "verklaring omtrent het gedrag" ~~ "statement about the character" from my town council to perform training and first aid in the athletic club on young pupils, I am totally reliable.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jan,
It could be anything. I gave some examples in your other question..

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:Each company will go to different lengths to evaluate a candidate, so there's no general answer. Checking references is not a "background check", though. And providing a reference like in your example is illegal all over the EU, so most likely in your case as well.

A background check delves into your credit history, police record etc. It's something you'd have to agree to in writing.

Also, since background checking is contracted out these days, meaning that it is a business, it is a very thorough in many cases.

I was actually offered the report from my current company; and it included the credit reports from all three reporting agencies. it included the police records from the two states that I have lived in, and California because my previous companies where HQ there. It included a few federal watch lists (and yes, I had clean records ... ).

It included the start and end dates of almost every company that I have worked for -- the exceptions where the ones that no longer exist. One company that was purchased by another company, had confirmation dates from the company that bought it. It had confirmation of my degrees. Etc.

And yes, you have to agree to it, but you don't know the extent of it when you agree to it. All you know is that it is mandatory -- and who would give up a job offer out of principle ? ...

Henry

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well all the dates on my CV are right. All the education is correct. I have no criminal record. And since I ride a bicycle, I do not even have speeding tickets. The worst things I have done are, traveling without paying in the metro, and watering against a building. I have even left some jobs and education out of my CV, but that would not be a problem. Just minor irrelevant stuff, I thought not to mention. I avoid political discussion on line so that won't be a problem. I was never active in a political fringe party on the right or left wing. I have always paid my mortgage on time. I cannot think of anything that would block the check. Still because I never had such a thing, it makes me a little nervous.

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Henry Wong wrote:it included the police records from the two states that I have lived in

You mean like every fine you had to pay?

Henry Wong wrote:federal watch lists

These are? FBI and CIA lists whether you are a terrorist?

Henry Wong wrote:start and end dates of almost every company that I have worked for

Okay, but only the dates, not a sort of renewed reference check?

Henry Wong wrote:confirmation of my degrees.

Ah cool. I graduated cum laude almost one year ahead of the normal schedule, did not bother to tell them. But you never know, it might impress them.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:Ah cool. I graduated cum laude almost one year ahead of the normal schedule, did not bother to tell them. But you never know, it might impress them.

As noted about, the check is often done by a third party so they aren't likely to be impressed. But good job!

Don't worry about the fines. They aren't looking for perfection. They are looking for problems. Maybe if you got 48 fines for the same thing, that could be a problem. (implies you don't follow rules even when told.) And don't worry about leaving out jobs. It's making up jobs that it is a problem.

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan de Boer wrote:

Henry Wong wrote:federal watch lists

These are? FBI and CIA lists whether you are a terrorist?

Maybe. Don't exactly remember. I do remember that there were a few lists. And I was so amazed (or perhaps insulted) that the national sexual offenders list was one of the lists, that I kinda only remember only that one. And no, my name did *not* appear on any of the lists ...

Henry

Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Henry Wong wrote:that the national sexual offenders list

LOL!

Actually I was probably checked against that, when I volunteered for working with teenage pupils in our athletic club. But there it was relevant. Thank you all for the information.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic