• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Explain this JavaScript Ninja code for me

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Sometimes JavaScript just baffles me. For example, this code from chapter 4 of Bear's Ninja (not Samurai) book:

I pretty much understand it, except how we can index elems with the square brackets, as in elems[0] and elems[1]. Does just having a length property enable that? Or calling the Array prototype method? I'm sure it will all become clear in a chapter or two, but I'm the inpatient type.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Greg Charles wrote:I pretty much understand it, except how we can index elems with the square brackets, as in elems[0] and elems[1]. Does just having a length property enable that?

It may appear that somehow elems is magically being turned into an array, but it's not. Remember that the square bracket notation can also be used to reference properties, not just array indexes. What is actually happening is that the call to Array.prototype.push in the add() method is creating numbered properties on the object rather than doing a real array push.

You can see this best by setting a breakpoint at line 21 of the example code (line 6 in your posted code):

Before the line is executed for the first time, the elems object is:
{length: 0, add: function, gather: function}

and after stepping over the call to push:
{0: input#first, length: 1, add: function, gather: function}

notice that a property with name "0" has been added, and the length incremented.

After the second call to push, we see:
{0: input#first, 1: input#second, length: 2, add: function, gather: function}

in which the property "1' has been added.

So the object isn't really being turned into an array, it's just being treated like one. Externally, it's not evident because elems[n] acts the same regardless of whether n is a property or array index.

This, per se, isn't anything very useful -- the point of the example was simply to show how the prototyped functions of object such as Array can be leveraged in other objects without having to be an array.

Greg Charles
Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Aha, that makes sense now. Thank you, Bear!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic