• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

"c:\programdata\oracle\java\javapath\java.exe “ THE SPECIFIED PATH DOES NOT EXIST"

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am sorry to ask this hear.
But all the forums I can find seem to be geared to people learning to program java.
And oracle doesn't seem to have a forum any longer.
I have searched google and any forums I can find and found nothing like my problem.
But I admit I am not sure exactly how to word it in a search.
So if you can't or don't want to answer please point me to a forum for user questions.

I have a 64 bit machine running win7 64 bit.
I had both 64 and 32 bit java installed.
My browser is waterfox the 64 bit version of firefox.

Everything was working but I couldn't get minecraft to use the 64 bit java so I decided to remove all java and then re install 64 bit alone.
I think I made my firs mistake by using a third party uninstaller designed to remove any traces of what ever you remove

Once I re installed 64 bit java v8 and restarted nothing java related works at all any more.

examples: if I run minecraft the HD light blinks and nothing else happens.
if I open control panel and try to open the java panel (THE SAME) nothing at all happens.
if I go to java site and run the java test as soon as I give it permission to run waterfox disappears (crashes).
and if I do win-r then type java -version to check the version I get this message "c:\programdata\oracle\java\javapath\java.exe “ THE SPECIFIED PATH DOES NOT EXIST"

if I go to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin\java.exe I find my java where it has always been and it also shows under installed programs.
I have no idea what the other path refers too.

I have re installed 2 times with restart after each and nothing changes.
I have no idea how to even guess what I have broken.
Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Even if it is just a link to a more appropriate forum.
I am dead in the water at the moment and getting a bit desperate.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nathan,
Welcome to CodeRanch! While this is a programming forum, we certainly know about installing Java.

Two things to try:
1) Can you open a DOS prompt and cd to the directory where Java was installed?
2) When you find that, can you try adding that location to the beginning of your PATH in the control panel.

It sounds like the problem is that the path is pointing to where Java used to be.

If you have questions/run into trouble on either of those steps, just reply to this thread.

nathan hern
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry it took a minute to get back to you but I wanted try figuring it out some before bothering you again.
But I haven't managed much.

Ok so hear is where I stand
I did step one.
1) Can you open a DOS prompt and cd to the directory where Java was installed

I opened prompt and did “CD C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin” this got me to where java is.
Then I did a DIR to verify it was there. (And it was) all the java files I recognize were there.

But I am not sure how to do step 2
2) When you find that, can you try adding that location to the beginning of your PATH in the control panel.
You see I am not sure how to do that since I cant get into the java panel in control panel when I try nothing happens so I assumed you meant to use DOS prompt some how to get in there but I wasn't able to figure out how to do that.

So hear is what I did try before bothering you again

first I went to the path mentioned in the error I got using win explorer (the one it looks like java is pointing to)
(c:\programdata\oracle\java\javapath) and that directory DOES exist even tho the error said otherwise.

there I found three LINKS named (java,exe, javaw.exe, and javaws.exe ) then I looked in the properties tab of each and found they were pointing to the directory where java IS

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin\java.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin\javaw.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin\javaws.exe

so I returned to the dos prompt in directory (C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin)
I tried running java.exe from DOS prompt and got this error

error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/noclassdeffounderror: java/lang/object

so I went to directory ( c:\programdata\oracle\java\javapath) STILL IN DOS PROMPT and tried the same.
And I got the same error

error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/noclassdeffounderror: java/lang/object

which makes sense as these are just links back to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin

well that's all I know at this point
hope this points you to something I cant see

nathan hern
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well no one every replied to my last post but so as not to be rude I thought I would let any one concerned know how it turned out.

it was almost another 2 weeks before i got java working again but I finaly did.

I had to uninstall every browser I had, both 32 and 64 bit as well as all java then reinstall all of them
one by one but that finally fixed it

thanks for trying to help

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic