• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

file read behave differently in Window / Unix

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello friends..

I am stuck in tricky situation and would appreciate if someone can give me some direction on following issue,

Working environment is -
JDK 6, Websphere 8

My EAR has an EJB, that EJB reads file content from remote system and provide the data as byte [ ]

In my local, using Websphere @ Windows platform, returned byte [ ] is different from Websphere on AIX platform

for new line on Windows I am getting - 13, 10
and on AIX I get - 10

ASCII Character Codes
10 \n (NL)
13 \r (CR)

in local (Windows) env. I can get file and that remains well formatted... but file downloaded using same EAR in dev (on AIX) file content keep continue to same line.

if I open same file with Notepad++, textpad or any other editor format of that file remains good.. but since Notepad is default editor I need to address the issue...

please let me know if you can give me some clue / direction...

regards..

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's normal. Different operating systems use different characters for end-of-line.

Windows uses CR LF (ASCII codes 13 and 10). Most Unix-like operating systems such as AIX use only LF (ASCII code 10).

Is this causing a problem in your application?

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

San Metro wrote:but since Notepad is default editor I need to address the issue...

In which case, why not change your default editor?

The fact is that this is a Windows problem, not a Java or other OS one, because it's the only major OS that continues to use that ridiculous line terminator (which is actually a holdover from the days of line printers).

If you use methods like BufferedReader.readLine() in your Java programs, they will work correctly for any OS; and pretty much any utility you use in Linux, Unix or Apple OS/X will deal with Windows text files perfectly happily.

HIH

Winston

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is on a tangent but why do you need an EJB to do that? Seems like a sledgehammer to hang up a small picture frame.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Winston Gutkowski wrote: . . . a holdover from the days of line printers). . . .

I remember those infernal machines well. No, it was a TTY (=Teletype), which was even worse. The only good thing about it was the you had to push the key marked “Campbell Ritchie” to terminate a line. You then had to push the key marked LF to move onto the next line. At least if you wanted to read the printout you did

San Metro
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thank you all for quick replies...

why we are using EJB - sorry it might look like excuse.....
this solution is implemented in approx. 2002 or bit later and currently using Java 5 / Websphere 6 which works good... (provide same output on Win/AIX),
I am participating to upgrade the Java 6 / Websphere 8;

I am trying to debug more on how EJB is getting the stream (byte [ ])..

thank you & regards..

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:No, it was a TTY (=Teletype), which was even worse.

You're probably right. In Solaris (don't know about Linux), terminal devices are still called /dev/tty...

Computer History 101.

Winston

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Winston Gutkowski wrote:
(don't know about Linux), terminal devices are still called /dev/tty...

They abound:
[obu@obutest ~]$ uname -a
Linux obutest 2.6.18-371.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Fri Mar 28 05:53:58 EDT 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[obu@obutest ~]$ ls /dev/tty[0-9]*
/dev/tty0 /dev/tty12 /dev/tty16 /dev/tty2 /dev/tty23 /dev/tty27 /dev/tty30 /dev/tty34 /dev/tty38 /dev/tty41 /dev/tty45 /dev/tty49 /dev/tty52 /dev/tty56 /dev/tty6 /dev/tty63
/dev/tty1 /dev/tty13 /dev/tty17 /dev/tty20 /dev/tty24 /dev/tty28 /dev/tty31 /dev/tty35 /dev/tty39 /dev/tty42 /dev/tty46 /dev/tty5 /dev/tty53 /dev/tty57 /dev/tty60 /dev/tty7
/dev/tty10 /dev/tty14 /dev/tty18 /dev/tty21 /dev/tty25 /dev/tty29 /dev/tty32 /dev/tty36 /dev/tty4 /dev/tty43 /dev/tty47 /dev/tty50 /dev/tty54 /dev/tty58 /dev/tty61 /dev/tty8
/dev/tty11 /dev/tty15 /dev/tty19 /dev/tty22 /dev/tty26 /dev/tty3 /dev/tty33 /dev/tty37 /dev/tty40 /dev/tty44 /dev/tty48 /dev/tty51 /dev/tty55 /dev/tty59 /dev/tty62 /dev/tty9

A tiny monkey bit me and I got tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic