• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

networking books advice

Greenhorn
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone. I need some advice. Im learning Java through the books and want to write a simple chat as my personal assignment. What can you recommend to read about networking and serialization? Thank you all in advance.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Viktor Iurkov wrote:Hello everyone. I need some advice. Im learning Java through the books

Welcome to JavaRanch, Victor.

First question: What books? There are billions.

and want to write a simple chat as my personal assignment.

Ooof. Kudos on your bravery. I'm not sure I'd want to tackle a chat program, and I've been at this lark a long time...

However, if you manage to do it without getting too frustrated, you'll certainly learn a lot about communications.

What can you recommend to read about networking and serialization?

Well, the tutorials are usually a good place to start. I'm not quite sure where serialization fits into a chat program though.

The only other thing I can suggest is: plan this project well. This is NOT a simple task you've chosen, and you're going to need to spend many hours with paper and pencil (and NO computer) before you write your first line of Java code.

For one thing: I'd definitely write down all the rules for your "chat" in detail, and in English, right at the start. And keep them simple. Projects like this tend to "mushroom" because halfway through, you think of a "nice-to-have" feature that ends up adding a lot of extra code and/or logic (very often, for not much gain).
So be disciplined - the time to add "bells and whistles" is when you have a simple working prototype, and not before.

I suspect that you're also going to have to spend quite a while with various components like Sockets and URLConnections, so you're familiar with how they work, before you start connecting them all together. But if you enjoy "playing", that part may actually be quite fun.

I wish you luck. I just hope you're not taking on too much.

Winston

Marshal
Mac OS X VI Editor BSD Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I suspect that you're also going to have to spend quite a while with various components like Sockets and URLConnections, so you're familiar with how they work, before you start connecting them all together.

Very good book to cover Winston's mentioned Sockets, URLConnections

Computer Networks by Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Good luck.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic