• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Serialization 1Z0-804 / OCJP7

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Page 526 of the new book by Kathy Sierra states the Serialization (Objective 7.2)
On Page 527 it states..

"Overtime, Oracle has fine-tuned the objectives of the OCP exam.
Serialization was a topic on the old SCJP 5 and SCJP 6 exams, and recently as the summer of 2014,
Oracle reintroduced serialization for the OCJP 7 exam."

The material is not present in the book, but exists on the accompanying CD ROM.

Question: Based on these statements, can one assume that serialization is covered on the exam?

I have taken OCJP7 mock exams from 1) enthuware 2) Whizlabs and have not seen any Serialization questions.

Can one assume that Serialization will be tested on in 1Z0-804?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Thomas Hauck wrote:
Question: Based on these statements, can one assume that serialization is covered on the exam?

I have taken OCJP7 mock exams from 1) enthuware 2) Whizlabs and have not seen any Serialization questions.

Can one assume that Serialization will be tested on in 1Z0-804?

It might be. As the book notes correctly, Oracle keeps changing their mind about whether it is on the exam. As of right now, the objectives do cover ObjectOutputStream which is used for Serialization. You don't get a question on every single topic on the exam due to randomization of questions. So even if it is in scope, you might/might not get one. I recommend learning the topic just in case.

When the java 7 exam objectives first came out, Serialization was out of scope. It was added later which is why it is on the CD and not in the main book. I'm guessing Enthuware and Whizlabs created their exams back at the beginning when it was out of scope.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic