• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

User and page intecration in sequence diagram

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello. I have one more question that is also suitable for the UML forum.

Actually, I have already a idea about how to do, but I'd like to know your oinion about this approach as I didn't see it in any place on the internet.

I have to show the interaction between the user and the page, the page provides to the user some functionalities that the user can choose call one or more of them or not call any, in any order.

The best thing that I managed to think was use a OPT operand on each option, but I'm afraid that this implies the user to do the operations in the order indicated on diagram and that isn't true. The user can call these functions in any order.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance
options.png
[Thumbnail for options.png]

Ranch Hand
Mac MySQL Database Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
At some point, I considered using "opt" for things user may or may not do, and even "loop" for the things the user can do in the iteration, like, selecting many elements from the list.

Finally, I decided not to use "opt" or "loop" for user-initiated actions: I thought that it does not add value to the diagram, only pollutes it.

I think that "opt", "loop", "alt" etc makes sense to show details of algorithm implementation, but is less suitable for describing user actions.

Antonio Rafael Rodrigues
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply Mike.

I think it really makes sense. If we forget about finding the correct rule and focus on "aggregate value" and "legibility" the 'opt' boxes aren't proper.

Any other toughts?

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mike Degteariov wrote:At some point, I considered using "opt" for things user may or may not do, and even "loop" for the things the user can do in the iteration, like, selecting many elements from the list.

Finally, I decided not to use "opt" or "loop" for user-initiated actions: I thought that it does not add value to the diagram, only pollutes it.

I think that "opt", "loop", "alt" etc makes sense to show details of algorithm implementation, but is less suitable for describing user actions.

It depends on the audience and/or use for your diagram. If you're documenting your design for someone else to implement, I think the "loop", "opt" and "alt" labels to show possible user interactions are more than worth any clutter they might add. However, if the diagram is just for a Powerpoint presentation to give your manager an idea of how a handful of business rules were implemented, then you can probably ignore the opt and alt.

Antonio Rafael Rodrigues
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, it makes sense too.

Thanks for sharing your point of view Ryan.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic