• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Oracle Certification for Beginners

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in JAVA and I want to do a certification in JAVA. There are lot of certifications in ORACLE

I am not clear about which one I should choose. I am familiar with the Basic concepts of Java. Please help me out with this.

Thank you

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can start with the "Oracle Certified Associate" or OCA exam.

Details can be found here and of course at the FAQs of this forum.

All the best!

Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oracle targets for "beginners" level certifications named "Associate"

As of today, there are 2 Java Associate certifications in production:

1) Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer

2) Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 8 Programmer

HTH,
MZ

Sharadraj Caliamourthy
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you so much for your replies I wanna know a little more details. Among the following 3 exams which is better in what way...

1) Java SE 7 Programmer I
2) Java SE 8 Programmer I
3) Java SE 6 Programmer Certified Professional

Girish Bal
Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If you are working and currently using Java 7, I would suggest going for the Java 7 exam and upgrade to 8 later.
If you are still in college and learning Java and looking for a job, you can go for Java 8 exam itself.
Java 6 is quite outdated now and going for it now does not seem to make sense.

Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sharadraj Caliamourthy wrote:Thank you so much for your replies I wanna know a little more details. Among the following 3 exams which is better in what way...

1) Java SE 7 Programmer I

I would not suggest Java SE 6 exam, unless you need "OCP" title badly (no matter which version) - Java SE 6 is out of support already.

Also, note: Option #3 is much harder than #1 and #2 - as Associate exams test only very basics of Java.

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sharadraj Caliamourthy wrote:1) Java SE 7 Programmer I

If you are a Java beginner, I would opt for the entry-level certification. So one of the OCA exams: OCAJP7 (Java SE 7 Programmer I) or OCAJP8 (Java SE 8 Programmer I).

For both versions there are some excellent study materials (study guides, mock exams,...) available. If you want to take the OCPJP8 beta exam (which will be released very soon), you should definitely opt for OCA 8 as it's not allowed to combine different version certifications.

Happy studying and best of luck!
Kind regards,
Roel

Sharadraj Caliamourthy
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cool.. now I got a clear idea thank you so much

Sharadraj Caliamourthy
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes I agree with your replies. But to get a OCJP certificate in SE 7 we need to write 2 exams level 1 and 2. So instead what I feel is we can write OCJP 6 ( 1z0-851) so that we can get a certificate and then we can upgrade with SE 7 upgradation exam. Is it wise ? Because even if we need a OCJP 7 we need to write 2 exams.

Thank you

Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sharadraj Caliamourthy wrote:Yes I agree with your replies. But to get a OCJP certificate in SE 7 we need to write 2 exams level 1 and 2. So instead what I feel is we can write OCJP 6 ( 1z0-851) so that we can get a certificate and then we can upgrade with SE 7 upgradation exam. Is it wise ? Because even if we need a OCJP 7 we need to write 2 exams.

Thank you

I would consider Programmer I and Programmer II. In this case you don't need to learn Java SE 6 and then re-learn Java SE 7. There are some differences which compile in Java SE 7 and don't compile in Java SE 6 (example: "effectively final: variables accessed from inner classes). Another reason: Programmer I is associate exam, which is simpler than OCJP 6. But it's only my opinion...

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sharadraj Caliamourthy wrote:Yes I agree with your replies. But to get a OCJP certificate in SE 7 we need to write 2 exams level 1 and 2. So instead what I feel is we can write OCJP 6 ( 1z0-851) so that we can get a certificate and then we can upgrade with SE 7 upgradation exam. Is it wise ? Because even if we need a OCJP 7 we need to write 2 exams.

So if you want to be OCPJP7 certified you'll need to take 2 exams, regardless of the certification path.

In your situation I would without any doubt opt for OCAJP7 followed by OCPJP7. Why? First of all, because as a Java beginner it will be easier to study for OCAJP7 than for OCPJP6, because the 1st one is an entry-level exam which covers only Java & some OO basics. The OCPJP6 is a full-blown exam covering a bunch of advanced topics besides the basics. Therefore you'll need less time to prepare for OCAJP7 than OCPJP6, so you'll be certified much quicker. And as a beginner, you'll have limited (or none) experience with Java, so it might be very tough to study some advanced topics (e.g. generics). If you have already taken (and passed) the OCAJP7 exam, you'll have already a few months of Java experience and studying those advanced topics (of OCPJP7) probably become a little bit easier

Hope it helps!
Kind regards,
Roel

Sharadraj Caliamourthy
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok Thank you so much for your responses

Why does your bag say "bombs"? The reason I ask is that my bag says "tiny ads" and it has stuff like this:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic