• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Background verification discrepancy

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been working in company A till march 6th, but my joining date in new company Company B is feb 6th.
So i decided to struggle hard for 1 month and work in both companies on shift basis.
Now that the background verification they are asking HR number for contacting. Will this affect the last day change ? How to overcome this ? All Other documents are exact and clear.
please suggest soon

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch.

hari priya ramesh wrote:So i decided to struggle hard for 1 month and work in both companies on shift basis.

Have you made enquiries if the company is OK with you having two jobs at the same time? Lot of companies disallow that.

hari priya ramesh wrote:Now that the background verification they are asking HR number for contacting. Will this affect the last day change ? How to overcome this ? All Other documents are exact and clear.
please suggest soon

The real question is why did you not clarify the exact situation with your new employer? Disclosing wrong/incorrect information is not a good way to get off on a new start. Maybe you can still sit down with them and explain the situation.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome again

And one reason for prohibiting working for two companies is that your struggling hard will risk your producing poor quality and potentially dangerous code. Please follow Maneesh's advice.

hari priya ramesh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the reply
I would have wished to do that but now its very late :-(
Company B is just asking me the HR contact number, if i provide it, what will be the process of verification ?
Will they verify the end date also ?
I hope im unable to explain to the current employer as i have joined just now
can you please suggest me anything that can be done ?

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tell HR at one place what the problem is. What do you mean about having joined recently? Have you only just started working at your current employer?

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

hari priya ramesh wrote:
can you please suggest me anything that can be done ?

In my opinion, I don't think there is an "out" here. This is *not* a one month overlap -- this is a current overlap, as you are currently working for both companies. Meaning, your new company, whom hired you as full time employee will notice that you haven't quit your old company yet. IMO, this is a red flag on the background check.

Henry

hari priya ramesh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes im a new joinee in current employer.
What if i explain the HR that the last date is this as per company policy of 2 months notice period.

Or if i had absconded in the previous company will that help ?

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Python Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We don't allow discussion about specific companies in this forum so I have edited your posts accordingly.

It sounds like you've gotten yourself into quite an awkward situation there. What were you thinking?! I don't think you have much of an option but to be honest with the company HR departments and hope for the best. They will find out what you've done in the end so being up front about it now will give you the best chance of coming to some agreement with one or the other companies.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of what you have done, there is a chance that both companies will walk away and you'll be left with nothing.

It's a tough spot, and good luck! You're going to need it.

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Cooke wrote:
Unfortunately, due to the nature of what you have done, there is a chance that both companies will walk away and you'll be left with nothing.

In my opinion, this is not even the worst case scenario... being left with no job, but your reputation may be an acceptable solution here. A worse case would be to be blackballed, or marked by the companies, subsidiaries, and/or work agencies -- which will prevent you from ever working again (or passing another background check).

As Tim stated, good luck!!

Henry

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Honesty, at least with one of the companies' HR, is probably the best defence against being blackballed.

hari priya ramesh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot for all the replies !
i will surely try to explain the situation to my current HR

I was thinking that they will just verify whether i am an employee of company A. Now when i googled i came to know the process.
one thing is i hav not yet provided the HR contact
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic