• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

a little bit revisitting on exception handling

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

So, consider this code:

so with this code, it doesn't matter anymore how many custom exceptions third party lib might throw, and I assume that stack trace will also be preserved even when using base class exception (for logging purposes), so bug hunting is not an issue with this approach, right? so what are the cons of this approach?
the major concern is custom exceptions.

thanks

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What the construct means is, “I don't know whether any of the implementations of this method will need to declare an Exception.” That means you can have any implementing method handle its own Exceptions or throw any sort of Exception. Or not have any Exceptions at all.

Yes, all Exceptions thrown will behave completely normally. There will be peculiar behaviour for subclasses of Exception.

David Spades
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

There will be peculiar behaviour for subclasses of Exception.

could you elaborate? thanks

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's a mispritn. Sorry. It should say no peculiar behaviour.

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The disadvantage of this approach is that the caller of such method will have to catch Exception (or pass the buck up the stack, but it will have to be handled somewhere eventually). I generally don't like catching Exception, as it matches RuntimeException and it's children as well, and you might end up catching (and perhaps handling somehow, probably in a completely inappropriate way) occurrences of NullPointerException and the like.

If the intent of this interface is to wrap a third-party library, I'd suggest creating a specific (checked or unchecked - depending on your taste) exception, catching all exceptions from that library in the implementation of doSomething() and wrapping them in that specific exception. It's better not to expose the details of the implementation of the third-party library to the users of the interface, especially if the purpose of the interface is to make the library interchangeable. (Just remember to pass the original exception to the constructor of the wrapping exception, otherwise you won't get a complete stack trace.)

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, you do not have to catch plain simple Exception because the implementing methods need not declare that they throw Exception. They may declare any of its subtypes or nothing at all.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
But surely it will complain if you DON'T handle the exception?

The interface declares it throws a checked exception.
You either need to handle it or declare that you can throw it.

The implementation may or may not actually throw an Exception at all.
But anyone dealing with this interface will have to anticipate one regardless.

Personally, I think it smells.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The interface declares an Exception.
Implementing methods can declare any subtypes or no Exceptions at all.

Stefan Evans
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Exactly. so in essence you are giving the implementor a free license to do whatever they want.
The cost is borne by the person using the interface.

If I want to call myInterface.doSomething then I have to catch an exception. Right?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:The interface declares an Exception.
Implementing methods can declare any subtypes or no Exceptions at all.

And since we should be coding against interfaces, then the calling code would have to handle Exception.

Martin Vashko
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Stefan Evans wrote:If I want to call myInterface.doSomething then I have to catch an exception. Right?

Yes, you have to.

The implementing method can declare to throw an Exception, any subtype(s) of Exception, or nothing at all. But if the method is called through the interface, the caller must handle Exception, since it can't be known which implementation will be used and which exceptions it declares to throw.

Of course, if someone called the implementing method directly (that is, MyImplementation.doSomething() instead of MyInterface.doSomething()), they'd have to handle only those (checked) exceptions declared by the implementation. But if someone wanted to do that, why bother declaring the interface at all?

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Compiles and runs nicely. Tried it with an anonymous class and it wouldn't compile because of unhandled Exceptions. I couldn't remember how to run it as a λ.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote: . . . if someone called the implementing method directly (that is, MyImplementation.doSomething() instead of MyInterface.doSomething()), they'd have to handle only those (checked) exceptions declared by the implementation. . . .

That is why it worked when I created that class. Had I declared it as StringChanger rather than StringDoubler it wouldn't have compiled.

Martin Vashko
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tried it with an anonymous class and it wouldn't compile because of unhandled Exceptions. I couldn't remember how to run it as a λ.

Hm, that would be interesting to see. It's true that the compiler can know that the anonymous implementation won't throw the exception, so it could work.

I haven't understood that the OP's question deals with calling the method directly, not via the interface. If it was the case, I wouldn't declare the interface at all, but I've already mentioned this.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Something likeWon't print things backwards, because the compiler complains about unhandled Exceptions.

Today's lesson is that you can't wear a jetpack AND a cape. I should have read this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic