• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Do we get any proof of contribution if we contribute to open source projects?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

Can anyone please let me know, if we get any proof or anything which states that I am open source contributor?
Let say I am an open source contributor and the same I wrote in my resume and if I need to have a proof of that what I can show?

Thanks,
Punit

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Typically when you contribute to any open source project, your name is associated with the contribution that you made and that in itself is a proof of contribution. There won't be certificates given out that you have contributed to the project. Of course, if your contribution is significant, some projects do reward you in some way and that too can act as a proof.

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Jaikiran for your response.

The reason I asked this question is, I am planning to apply for MS in USA in Fall 2016 for that I will need to build up my SOP.

Just curious to know if open source contributions also help to make our SOP and LORs strong, do you have any idea about this? or these type of questions can directly be asked to the universities?

--
Thanks,
Punit

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:
Just curious to know if open source contributions also help to make our SOP and LORs strong, do you have any idea about this? or these type of questions can directly be asked to the universities?

--
Thanks,
Punit

Yes they do. But like you said, be prepared to answer a lot of questions ranging from why did you choose that specific open source project and how it has enriched you and the rest of the world to how did you implement x.
All the best.

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Chan Ag wrote:

Punit Jain wrote:

--
Thanks,
Punit

Yes they do. But like you said, be prepared to answer a lot of questions ranging from why did you choose that specific open source project and how it has enriched you and the rest of the world to how did you implement x.
All the best.

Cool. That motivates

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic