• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java EE book

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I do not know if this is the right section in any case I would need advice on what book I could buy to start, not now, the study of Java Enterprise Edition.
I'm looking for a book that is extremely easy to understand just because I want to get close to those concepts gradually.
Do you know a good book that you can advise me?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Java Enterprise Edition consists of several parts. If you don't know any of them, I recommend starting with a book like Core Servlets to learn Servlets well. Then go on to another part like EJB or JMS.

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you refer to this tutorial ( LINK )?

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was considering buying a specific book for Java EE that allows me to start coming from Java SE.
I'm looking for a book that is not to omit anything that allows me to switch from Java SE to Java EE in the best way possible and without gaps.
Obviously this will be the FIRST book that will buy and I need to start to understand and not find myself talking about things of which you may not know the meaning.

I found this ( http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Java-EE-Expert-Voice/dp/143024626X ) but I do not know if it's suitable for me or if it's too advanced (try something quite simple because, I repeat, I need to get started with Java EE).

Do you help me to choose?

Ranch Hand
Mac Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want an overview of the various JEE technologies take a look at this website (the first half is free, then if you like the rest its a $20 donation - probably cheaper than most books). It starts on EE6 but there are some follow on videos for EE7. From there, you can work out what aspects you need/want to learn in greater depth and buy books/practice away to your hearts content.

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First of all I thank you for the link.
Honestly I would rather opt for a book to make learning easier than video.
Before I put a link to a book but I do not know if it can fit, the contents should be these:

1. Java EE 7 Environment
2. Context and Dependency Injection
3. Bean Validation
4. Java Persistence API
5. Object-Relational Mapping
6. Managing Persistent Object
7. Enterprise Java Beans
8. Callbacks, Timer Service, and Authorization
9. Interceptors and Transactions
10. JavaServer Faces
11. Processing and Navigation
12. XML and JSON
13. Messaging
14. SOAP Web Services
15. RESTful Web Service

my intention is to opt for something that makes a guide in learning so you can go in the most simple and clear as possible from Java SE to Java EE.

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
my doubt is whether to start studying the tutorial Oracle (http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/tutorial/) or whether to opt for a book (eg. http://www.amazon.com/dp/143024626X/?tag=stackoverfl08-20 or one recommended by you).
the problem of the book of which I have included the link is that, reading through the comments of others users, it seems to me that does not have its own basic approach but rather is aimed at those who already know Java EE (ie. those who have read the previous versions that book).

Ashley Bye
Ranch Hand
Mac Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You could always start with the Oracle tutorials since they are free and then buy a book if that doesn't work out for you. I still like those videos as a good introduction to then expand your knowledge from; they work for me anyway, since I find reading from a book more effective after I've been shown a concept and how it relates to other concepts. Once I have that grasped, investigating and learning about the more in depth details from a book is much easier. Personal preferences though.

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
actually the tutorial is perhaps the simplest approach to start because even if I buy a book but I realize that it is too complex now I can not do anything and I made a wrong purchase, Oracle tutorial instead is free and it rates as I go with the study.
But the Oracle tutorial is sufficiently complete to begin? Or are there the missing pieces? I would like to get an idea of Java EE but without skipping anything.

Ashley Bye
Ranch Hand
Mac Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Java EE is basically a collection of various API's. I really would suggest starting with something that gives you an overview of the most commonly used API's and then moving on from there, going into more depth in some subject areas as you see fit. I don't think there will be a single book that covers everything you need to know. I've not followed the Oracle tutorials from start to finish. I find them useful for delving a bit deeper into something, but for me, personally, I struggle with the way they are structured so do not find them beneficial for initial learning of a subject.

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
then do you believe that Oracle tutorial is not suitable for someone who has to start with Java EE?

Ashley Bye
Ranch Hand
Mac Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Based on the way I learn most effectively they are not a good resource for me. For you: only you will know when you give them a try.

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ashley Bye wrote:Based on the way I learn most effectively they are not a good resource for me. For you: only you will know when you give them a try.

I could perhaps use Oracle tutorial to guide to follow, however, if I were not to understand something I would go to deepen through other sources.

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A friend of mine lent me the book "Beginning Java EE 6 with GlassFish 3" ( http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-GlassFish-Experts-Voice-Technology/dp/143022889X ) which should be the older version of this ( http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Java-EE-Expert-Voice/dp/143024626X ).
I was thinking that I could start studying from the book and incorporate from time to time with the tutorial (though the tutorial refers to version 7).
I hope will be fine although the book is of 2010.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have found this book to be quite good - Professional Java for Web Applications: Featuring Websockets, Spring Framework, JPA Hibernate, and Spring Security

I've not finished going through it yet, but I've learned a lot so far

John Lerry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did you have previous knowledge of Java EE? or did you know only Java SE?

Villains always have antidotes. They're funny that way. Here's an antidote disguised as a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic