• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using a new object for reference to an existin entity

Greenhorn
PHP Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Guy, I have this doubt. May I create a new object that represent an entity and assign an existing primary key, and use this object for reference to an existing entity, instead of use getReference or find method of EntityManager?.

Regards.

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And why would you not simply use the find-method of EntityManager?

Jhon Gonzales
Greenhorn
PHP Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Because I have seen it in a code and the code works. The code have the flowing structure:

There is an Entity named A, with a relation with entity B. The relation is OneToMany using a Join Table and the Owner in the relation is the Entity A. B is an Entity with predefined inserts, so its only used for reference in relations.

So, when there are creating a new Object A for persist it, they don't use find or reference for get a reference of an entity B and add it to the list, instead they create new Object of B, assing its a primary key and add the new Object B to the List that Belong to the Object A. And the code works and i don't understand why its work.

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A concrete example could look like this:

Assume we have already 10 phones in the database with ids ranging from 1 to 10. To create a new person the code looks like:

Do I understand correctly?

Jhon Gonzales
Greenhorn
PHP Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And I probably can assume that the Phone entity has other properties (instance members) as well besides the id property, otherwise it would be a very weird entity

I'm not a JPA (Hibernate) guru at all, but I've never done it as you have described. And I wonder why the other properties of Phone (Object B) are not changed to null if an existing primary key is used.

Could you share (a part of) the mapping of both entities? You can always use dummy class and property names.

I'm gonna teach you a lesson! Start by looking at this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic