• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Brand new project - should I begin it in Java ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've been programming for many years in MS technologies (C#) - Also done a few Linux and Mac apps using 'RealBasic' and recently an Android App using Android Studio/Java.

I'm now about to begin a brand new MAC OSX project and trying to decide what language to do it in.

Over the weekend I played around with Java in Netbeans and it really is quick and easy. Source code fully portable between Windows and Mac and the packaged executable just as portable. Amazing.

But I'm kind of put off the idea of Java because Apple have stopped shipping Java with their OS. Looking at other platforms even google seem to be moving away from Java with their new ChromeOS.

If I had existing Java applications I'd be happy to keep maintaining them - I wouldn't be rushing to port them to some other technology.

But should I be starting a brand new project in Java today ?

Thanks for your input guys.
)

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ian Sa wrote:But I'm kind of put off the idea of Java because Apple have stopped shipping Java with their OS.

You can download Java for Mac OS X from Oracle, in exactly the same way as you can for Windows, Linux and Solaris. Windows, and most Linux distributions, also don't ship with Java out-of-the-box.

Contrary to what you might have heard or read on random places on the Internet, Java is far from dead, or on its way out. But Java has never been very popular for desktop applications - its main use in for server side software, where it's hugely popular and the most used programming language in the world.

If your project is going to be a Mac OS X-specific desktop application, then it might be interesting to look at Apple's new programming language Swift.

Ian Sa
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:

If your project is going to be a Mac OS X-specific desktop application, then it might be interesting to look at Apple's new programming language Swift.

Thank you for your input.

Yes. It is MacOSX 'desktop' specific. Yes. Also looking at Swift. Also at Xamarin/Mono.

I'm just hoping for lots of feedback so I can weigh up the pro's and con's of each dev environment.

But not only development. Deployment and support are just as important.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic