• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Some concerns on remote EJBs with connections to a number of interfaces

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We currently have a bankng application that uses local EJBs. Its has the combined tier architecture (jsp,servlets and ejb in one ear file in one server). The EJB we use has a number of calls to three different mainframe web sevices in its methods. Now, there has been a drive to move our business layer into another server for more flexible load balancing or clustering. The EJBs would now be called remotely.

This is what worries me. Is it a bad idea to have ejbs calling different interfaces as remote ejbs?... I mean, this would only add more networks round trips and point of failures. First is remotely calling the ejb, then the ejb would call a web service. A lot of round trips before the caller receives the response. Do i really have to worry about this and disagree not to move the ejbs out? or do you think the benefits of this will outweigh the drawbacks?

thanks and good day to y'all :-)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Java Enterprise Edition was created to be multi-tiered. I don't think that you will even notice any degradation in performance. In fact you should notice an improvement because of the separation. Generally networks are not the bottleneck in applications. Session beans are the ones that will be doing most of the work as far as your interfaces and they are fairly light. Really the only way to probably convince you that it will be fine to do this is to actually try it. Create a simple Remote App and a local one that has a timer as part of the functionality. Also, keep in mind the ability to scale tremendously as you tier out. Many people worry about things they don't really understand. I would ultimately say give it a chance. It is not really that hard to go back if it does not work out.

Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants. And a tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic