• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Software Developer or Solution Architect

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
i am already a software developer for years, if given opportunity should i go with solution architect as a career path.

i like to decide based upon pros cons in regards in terms of career, growth prospect and salary.

i am confused, please guide me.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Can you write a paragraph about what you think a solution architect does? (I do know, but I want to see what you emphasize when you explain it.) Also, a solution architect role often involves more communication so this is good practice .

Amandeep Singh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Jeanne. A solution architect is one who works more on generic solutions, common solutions, design of the applications and even works on preparing the platform for developers like tools, frameworks, servers, technologies they use.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good, you understand it .

Seriously thought, solutions architect is an interesting role. In some companies, it is limited to a certain department. In others, it is Enterprise Architecture. (working with different branches/parts of the company/etc.) One caveat is to make sure you don't become an "ivory tower architect." While a solutions architect might be involved with the design of individual applications, it is usually much higher design.

As far as your original question, as long as you find your role interesting, I think you'll do well. My only caveat is to make sure you won't miss the 'lower level" parts of development.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Solution architect means different things in different companies. Make sure the company that is offering you the job agrees with you on the meaning

In some places, Solution Architect means "The person who designs and implements software solutions". Basically this is the architect role that most programmers are familiar with
In some places, Solution Architect means "The person who identifies which software solutions to acquire and works on making them work together". This is generally not a developer job. It;s more or less an IT admin job. You are putting together applications that other people have built, or purchased. The most coding you will do is writing shell scripts.

Generally speaking whenever you have offered a job that has "architect" in it's title, make sure you ask the person what exactly they mean. The title is used very ambiguously. I've seen it applied to everyone from a team lead to the CTO

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic