• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Good psychological thrillers

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This is a genre that is very fascinating to me. I'm just awestruck by the capabilities of these kind of movies. So without ado, let me start with the one's that are my personal favorites. These are just off the top of my head; there are many I like but can't remember right now. Here it goes:

* Memento

* The Fountain

* Black Swan

* eXistenZ

What are yours? Any recommendations will be great.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How about...

The Others - Nicole Kidman, 2001
What Lies Beneath - Harrison Ford, Michelle Pfeiffer, 2000
The Usual Suspects - Kevin Spacey, 1995
Silence of the Lambs - Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins, 1991

Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A couple come to mind, both must-sees.

* Jacob's Ladder

* The Ninth Configuration

Marshal
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you haven't got most of Alfred Hitchcock's oeuvre there, you haven't even started.

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try Don't Look Now (1973), with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, beautifully filmed by Nic Roeg, an eery story that's saturated with doom and foreboding. And no spoilers for those who haven't seen it, please!

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A bit dated, but memorable for me (and both coincidentally Roy Scheider, films):

52 Pickup with Ann-Margret
Still of the Night with Meryl Streep

Guillermo Ishi
Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here's one that you can watch on Youtube, no fuss no muss. B tier I guess but good and creepy.

"Carnival of Souls"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUePiQJJCI

Ahsan Bagwan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you everyone. Did get a chance to watch Don't Look Now yesterday and I was completely blown away! Terrific film. Fun fact, there was this recent Bollywood movie named Talaash that shamelessly ripped off some of the movie's parts and added it as a sub-plot apparently.

And I'm acquainted with some of Hitchcock's movies. Not seen them all but Vertigo in my opinion is his masterpiece.

Others that I have not seen are: The Others, The Ninth Configuration and both of Bear's suggestions.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
it's cliche now, but when I saw "The Sixth Sense" in the theatre, I had no clue. I went in knowing NOTHING about it, and it blew me away.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You may have to go back 55 years, but Peeping Tom with Karl Böhm and Anna Massey is worth seeing.

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ahsan Bagwan wrote:Thank you everyone. Did get a chance to watch Don't Look Now yesterday and I was completely blown away! Terrific film. Fun fact, there was this recent Bollywood movie named Talaash that shamelessly ripped off some of the movie's parts and added it as a sub-plot apparently.

Not cool, man
I was going to watch it in the next couple of days. I have seen Talash.

Ahsan Bagwan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Don't worry Paul. The climax and underlying theme is altogether different in Don't Look Now. So I haven't spoilt the suspense just yet.

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How about Revolver?
It is not having very high rating, but I liked the idea though.

Ranch Hand
BSD Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I liked "saw".
Another good movie was "rear window" (1954)

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Watched the Blair Witch Project the other day with my wife and she just about managed to stay awake for the whole of it

Guillermo Ishi
Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

chris webster wrote:Try Don't Look Now (1973), with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, beautifully filmed by Nic Roeg, an eery story that's saturated with doom and foreboding. And no spoilers for those who haven't seen it, please!

I watched Don't Look Now and really couldn't make heads or tails of it. Just seemed like some dragging unexplained city-wide conspiracy against Donald and Julie.

Butterfly Effect
is another one I like. It has Anton Kuscher or whatever his name is in a good serious role. He finds he has the ability to change the present for himself and acquaintances by going to the past and making small changes. But -- the problem is what those changes to the present are is mostly unpredictable since the full effect of his adjustments rippling through time are unknown. He may change a bad present but create a different equally bad one in the process. For example in one present his girlfriend became a rich sorority girl and in another she became a drug addict prostitute. In some presents people have died and in others they live. Fixing one thing creates other problems. Has a good final solution ending requiring sacrifice. Really well done.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tapas Chand wrote: . . . Another good movie was "rear window" (1954)

The Hitchcock version or the Simpsons version?

Tapas Chand
Ranch Hand
BSD Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:The Hitchcock version or the Simpsons version?

Hitchcock version

Ahsan Bagwan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Appreciate the responses.

Tapas Chand wrote:I liked "saw".
Another good movie was "rear window" (1954)

Did indeed like Rear Window when I did see it earlier. Saw is to gory and graphic for my taste though.

Guillermo Ishi wrote:I watched Don't Look Now and really couldn't make heads or tails of it. Just seemed like some dragging unexplained city-wide conspiracy against Donald and Julie.

Well different strokes for different folks Speaking for myself I found the pace to be okayish for most of the part. But the last half an hour the story and suspense just picked up and how! Butterfly Effect does look interesting btw.

Anayonkar Shivalkar wrote:How about Revolver?
It is not having very high rating, but I liked the idea though.

Sounds compelling enough to give it a shot.

Anyways I'm surprised I didn't list any Lynchian movies. Any list is not complete without his work.

Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Guillermo Ishi wrote:

chris webster wrote:Try Don't Look Now (1973), with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, beautifully filmed by Nic Roeg, an eery story that's saturated with doom and foreboding. And no spoilers for those who haven't seen it, please!

I watched Don't Look Now and really couldn't make heads or tails of it. Just seemed like some dragging unexplained city-wide conspiracy against Donald and Julie.

Agreed. I had to read the story on the internet to understand what happened after watching the movie. Then I watched the last 10 minutes again. Still couldn't follow. Though I don't doubt that it is called a "master piece", it was complete waste of time for me.

Butterfly Effect
is another one I like. It has Anton Kuscher or whatever his name is in a good serious role. He finds he has the ability to change the present for himself and acquaintances by going to the past and making small changes. But -- the problem is what those changes to the present are is mostly unpredictable since the full effect of his adjustments rippling through time are unknown. He may change a bad present but create a different equally bad one in the process. For example in one present his girlfriend became a rich sorority girl and in another she became a drug addict prostitute. In some presents people have died and in others they live. Fixing one thing creates other problems. Has a good final solution ending requiring sacrifice. Really well done.

I watched it when it came out. Some parts of it were an insult to your intelligence but it was entertaining alright.

Guillermo Ishi
Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Anilprem wrote:
Agreed. I had to read the story on the internet to understand what happened after watching the movie. Then I watched the last 10 minutes again. Still couldn't follow. Though I don't doubt that it is called a "master piece", it was complete waste of time for me.

I plan to read about it to figure it out too. It think its framework culminates with Eraserhead, which I think is actually a really destructive movie.

Paul Anilprem wrote:
I watched it when it came out. Some parts of it were an insult to your intelligence but it was entertaining alright.

It requires some "suspension of disbelief", which is justified sometimes.

Ahsan Bagwan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Watched The Others. Nice thriller and horror stuff. Can vouch for it.

Campbell Ritchie wrote:
You may have to go back 55 years, but Peeping Tom with Karl Böhm and Anna Massey is worth seeing.

This turned out to be a surprisingly quality movie. Also read about how this movie almost ended Michael Powell's career as a director owing to the offence viewers took when it came out. Got introduced to some of his previous works. And he does seem to have a good track record.

By the way, did anyone like The Primer?

Ahsan Bagwan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Have to give it to Guillermo. Carnival of Souls is a terrific film.

Guillermo Ishi
Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ahsan Bagwan wrote:Have to give it to Guillermo. Carnival of Souls is a terrific film.

I got a kick out of it It was actually on TV here late one night.

You might like this - what makes things "creepy". Check out the youtube videos he refers to, which are in fact really creepy.

http://youtu.be/PEikGKDVsCc

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Though these are not English , These are some hindi Movies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaun_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasoor

Guillermo Ishi
Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I forgot about this one. Lots more complicated than a lot of these. Full movie on YT

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That link does not work because of copyright restrictions.

Guillermo Ishi
Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:That link does not work because of copyright restrictions.

Oops. Sorry. Maybe the U.S. and Brit owners are different. The youtube date on it's 2012.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The you tube link says “1964” for the date of the film. I think that copyright lasts 50 years in USA and 70 years in most of Europe, but I am by no means sure.

Guillermo Ishi
Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:The you tube link says “1964” for the date of the film. I think that copyright lasts 50 years in USA and 70 years in most of Europe, but I am by no means sure.

Maybe youtube controls some U.S. rights or something. If not, the 2012 means it's been there long enough to do something about if the owner cared to. What it "feels" like over here is that if the main value is historic or cultural or artistic nobody bothers, but if it was the latest Hollywood release the guns would come out

Greenhorn
Spring Suse Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Two that I do not see listed, but I think worth mentioning: Wicker Man (1973 version) and Brimstone and Treacle.

Both movies gnaw at our daily assumptions of how the world works.

Ranch Hand
MS IE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Shutter Island, from 2010, with DiCaprio.

A U.S Marshal investigates the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane.

I loved how the end of this movie left a big confusion of what really happened, there was no answer at the end of the movie. It's left for your interpretation. I was discussing various theories with my wife for a good hour after the movie and we couldn't agree to one version.

I am recommending this movie for people who like such unanswered questions in a movie, that had to be solved with own interpretation or analysis. One important things with this movie is to not google about it!!! The entire fun from the movie can get destroyed just by a single spoiling sentence. If you want to see it, simply grab the movie and watch it, don't google any reviews/descriptions and so on!

Ranch Hand
Android Python Open BSD VI Editor Slackware
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ahsan Bagwan wrote: This is a genre that is very fascinating to me. I'm just awestruck by the capabilities of these kind of movies. So without ado, let me start with the one's that are my personal favorites. These are just off the top of my head; there are many I like but can't remember right now. Here it goes:

* Memento

* The Fountain

* Black Swan

* eXistenZ

What are yours? Any recommendations will be great.

In order of thrilling factor

Bad influences. great James Spader, charismatic rob lowe, influencial mechanism based on authority quite highlighted

The exterminator angel( on my top ten, drama fantastic, no psychologic in the classical sense but neorealistic sense, but cannot stop to mention) and also you could like belle de jour always from Bunuel

Marnie. Sean Connery...

A dangerous method. not a real thriller but if you are sensitive it is. And for sure does not miss the psychological aspect

Then there is an Italian moviemakerthat made a thriller that is almost horror , but can be in some way disturbing, and you would not sleep alone for long time, so I would avoid to mention also if has a subtle psychological insight, but is not java ranch culturally fitting, even in the rattlesnake pit forum. the movie has also a sound track that would make the music of Ludwig in Clockwork Orange almost as a fairy tale story

Greenhorn
Android Firefox Browser Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To my mind Case # 39, the Exorcist

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic