• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Swing Desktop app consumed by multiple pc's in shared file system

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, today i had an issue concerning a simple java desktop application, it turns out that there is a jar executable file inside a shared folder, that is accessed by a number of computers
distributed in some offices , at some uncertain point, something happened during a test, and it became impossible to run the jar file. it only ran one time, and then it never worked again
in any computer accessing that shared folder.
is there anything related to the jvm causing some sort of concurrency problem?
if one computer, for some reason, gets the app to crash, the other computers can still run the jar file? or the jvm that crashed could somehow.. "block" the jar file?

any tip is more than welcome

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It sounds to me like the network (which controls the shared folder) is locking the jar file in such a way that it's inaccessible to more than one user at a time. Or something like that... I don't want to make a precise guess because I'm just thinking that it's something to do with network locks... even though the jar should theoretically be read-only. So, my guess is that it's the network and not the JVM causing this issue.

You didn't mention whether anything is updating the jar, or replacing it by a new version. That would make network lock issues more likely.

martin diaz
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:It sounds to me like the network (which controls the shared folder) is locking the jar file in such a way that it's inaccessible to more than one user at a time. Or something like that... I don't want to make a precise guess because I'm just thinking that it's something to do with network locks... even though the jar should theoretically be read-only. So, my guess is that it's the network and not the JVM causing this issue.

You didn't mention whether anything is updating the jar, or replacing it by a new version. That would make network lock issues more likely.

Thanks for the response, and no, there is any update or file modifying that could interfere with the jar file. Im then, thinking in the direction of what you have just said..

Bartender
jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Let's take the network share out of the picture and determine if the problem is with the jar file or related to the network location.

If you pull the jar file down to the local drive, can you run it?

martin diaz
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

J. Kevin Robbins wrote:Let's take the network share out of the picture and determine if the problem is with the jar file or related to the network location.

If you pull the jar file down to the local drive, can you run it?

Yes i can run it, the jar is now running locally from the terminals, all is going on just fine. Im guessing its a network related issue that i am not aware of.

J. Kevin Robbins
Bartender
jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, that pretty much settles that your jar file is fine, the issue is running it from the share. You'll need some help from your network admin on this one. Either the network is locking the file or the user id's being used to run the app don't have enough permissions to run the file.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic