• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Customer Requirements: more suited to freelancers or company workers?

Ranch Hand
Android Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
And if this book contains "putting your foot down when the boss wants you to work late due to changing requirements", then wouldn't that look bad on you when they need changes to be made late on a Friday, and you say no?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Marc,

@Freelancers vs company workers

it is actually suited for both.
Depending on your company culture,country culture and your seniority it could be that it is more interesting for the software lead/teamlead/architect/ba than the junior junior tech guy, but I think it is an overall guide for anyone who needs to put requirements into working software. The steps are the same, the conclusion is the same...yep.

@Putting your foot down comment

As I also wrote in the book: If it happens occasionally for , let's say, a trade show or important customer demo then there's nothing wrong with that. If you are continuously (simple rule: more than once a month) asked to stay late on Fridays and nights to deploy a crazy hotfix, then you are having problems - but I probably do not need to tell you that.

A lot of programmers have that sentiment it would make them look bad and so in the worst case nothing changes, at one point the pressure pipe explodes and morale goes down. And you essentially put yourself in a one-down position towards your boss. It is then really up to you if you want to continue like that forever ever - i dont

If you two don't stop this rough-housing somebody is going to end up crying. Sit down and read this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic