• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

how does Thread.join works with synchronized/non-synchronized methods

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I followed a thread question on Niko's Java Blog . Here is the code:

Just before the main method exits, the account’s number field is guaranteed to have value 2000.
A)true
B)false

here, I am confused on following 3 things:
1. in above exact code, both s1 and s2 are showing their values as TERMINATED. yet the account's number value is not guaranteed as 2000. Why is it so?.
2. also when I add synchronized keyword in account's method increase(), then the number value is guaranteed to come as 2000. How?
3. in above case 2 if I comment the join() statements, and let the increase() method be synchronized then again number's value is NOT guaranteed to be 2000. How & Why?

forgive me for quering too many things 1 question, but I am totally confused. I know that's the single object's resource that two objects are using. I also know that join method holds the thread on wait until the thread on which it is called has been completed. So there are 3 threads : one, two and main. But still confused to see output.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

in above exact code, both s1 and s2 are showing their values as TERMINATED. yet the account's number value is not guaranteed as 2000. Why is it so?.

Both threads access increase method randomly but not in serial way when you don't synchronized increase method hence not atomic. That's why you can't guarantee for 2000 value.

also when I add synchronized keyword in account's method increase(), then the number value is guaranteed to come as 2000. How?

After making it synchronized you are making the increase method atomic which guarantees only 1 thread can access at any time. Hence value is 2000.

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

in above case 2 if I comment the join() statements, and let the increase() method be synchronized then again number's value is NOT guaranteed to be 2000. How & Why?

I am not sure about this. Lets wait for the masters speak about it.

Nitin Rao
Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tushar Goel wrote:

in above exact code, both s1 and s2 are showing their values as TERMINATED. yet the account's number value is not guaranteed as 2000. Why is it so?.

Both threads access increase method randomly but not in serial way when you don't synchronized increase method hence not atomic. That's why you can't guarantee for 2000 value.

also when I add synchronized keyword in account's method increase(), then the number value is guaranteed to come as 2000. How?

After making it synchronized you are making the increase method atomic which guarantees only 1 thread can access at any time. Hence value is 2000.

Tushar, bhai, while digging for the solution I also come across the fact that increment (i.e. number++) process is NOT an atomic. Is it true.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nitin Rao wrote:
Tushar, bhai, while digging for the solution I also come across the fact that increment (i.e. number++) process is NOT an atomic. Is it true.

Yes. The increment operation is *not* atomic.

Also, the JVM may do register caching... so, if you don't use synchronize or volatile, then sharing variables, even with atomic operations may not work correctly.

Henry

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tushar Goel wrote:

in above case 2 if I comment the join() statements, and let the increase() method be synchronized then again number's value is NOT guaranteed to be 2000. How & Why?

I am not sure about this. Lets wait for the masters speak about it.

If the main thread doesn't wait for the other threads to finish (ie. with the join() method call), then it may look at the "result" before the threads finish. Hence, it may not be at the value of 2000 yet.

Henry

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Got it. Thanks Henry..

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic