• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCPJP - 1z0-809 - Java SE 8 - Booked too soon?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

I passed the OCA Java SE 8 last week fairly easily and my boss booked me on the OCP - apparently we have some kind of Oracle certification and they need a certain number of certified staff ...

Anyway, I've spent the day trying to find study material, but there seems to be a dearth specifically for the 1z0-809 exam

Are there any resources I should be hunting out? How good a prep will OCP 7 materials (plus streams, date & time, labmdas etc) be?

Cheers,
Stef

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Stefan,
Congrats on the OCA! When did he book the OCP exam for? It isn't available right now. The beta ended last month and the non-beta isn't out yet.

OCPJP7andOCPJP8 lists the differences between the two exams. You are going to have to use a version 7 study guide because as you noticed, that's all that exists. I'm working on a OCP 8 book that prints in December and I think we are first. I strongly recommend supplementing the study guide with "Java 8 For the Really Impatient". It's not a study guide, but has exercises after each chapter and covers the new Java 8 material well.

Stefan Compton
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the swift reply Jeanne - as an aside, it was yours and Scott Selikov's book that good me through the OCA so thoroughly unscathed :-) imagine my disheartenment upon finding that the OCP edition is slated for December on Amazon!

I'm booked for 18th September, but dates were available sooner. I just rechecked the Pearson Vue confirmation email and it's definitely the OCP (1Z0-809 - Java SE 8 Programmer II - English (ENU))

Anyway, thanks again and i'll look at the book you suggested.

Stef

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Stefan Compton wrote:Thanks for the swift reply Jeanne - as an aside, it was yours and Scott Selikov's book that good me through the OCA so thoroughly unscathed :-)

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Stefan Compton wrote:I'm booked for 18th September, but dates were available sooner. I just rechecked the Pearson Vue confirmation email and it's definitely the OCP (1Z0-809 - Java SE 8 Programmer II - English (ENU))

Now that's interesting. I went to PearsonVue and it lists August 15th as the first date that the local testing center has an appointment for that exam. I didn't go further as I'm already OCP 8 certified (from the upgrade exam). The beta ended in mid-June. I wouldn't expect the exam to be available in mid-August. mid-Sept yes, but not mid-August.

My point in the previous paragraph is that I recommend checking the exam actually launched a little before you take the exam!

Stefan Compton
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I recommend checking the exam actually launched a little before you take the exam!

Will do, thanks Jeanne.

Stefan Compton
Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In case anyone is interested ....

took OCPJP 8 and passed 68% against 65% pass mark ... ouch, just squeaked it!

I would not recommend anyone taking this just yet unless they are really really comfortable with lambdas and functional interfaces and (even more so) streams. It seemed like every other question was on streams and I think i didn't study deeply enough. There was a fair bit on concurrency, but i thought that was way more straightforward (and well covered in SE 7 books).

Good luck all!
Stefan

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Stefan,
That's great! Want to add yourself to our Wall of Fame? Passing without a study guide is impressive.

Stefan Compton
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks I feel much better about scraping a pass and I've posted on the wall

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations on passing!
Thanks a lot for your feedback about the exam.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic