• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EclipseLink SELECT NEW causes IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

So I ran into a weird problem with EclipseLink and was wondering if anyone could tell me what may have caused this. I have a JPA query using NEW so I get objects for my query result with just certain of their properties set. Everything worked fine until I noticed something no longer did. That is to say, I started getting an exception with code that I hadn't changed. It may be possible that there has been some change to the datatypes of the relevant properties, although I don't really remember having made such changes. The exception is below.

After a lot of going through stuff, I noticed that removing any of the arguments in the SELECT NEW statement and my class constructor fixed the problem, as did adding an argument. So what I ended up doing is I switched the places of two arguments in my query and the constructor and that too fixed the problem. So what is going on here?? Are these queries cached in a way that might cause EclipseLink to call the constructor with arguments of wrong type if there have been changes to the code?

javax.persistence.PersistenceException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.QueryImpl.getResultList(QueryImpl.java:479)
at fi.testcenter.service.ReportService.findUserOwnReportList(ReportService.java:269)
at fi.testcenter.service.ReportService$$FastClassBySpringCGLIB$$be91c3cc.invoke(<generated>)
at org.springframework.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:204)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.CglibAopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(CglibAopProxy.java:700)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor$1.proceedWithInvocation(TransactionInterceptor.java:96)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.invokeWithinTransaction(TransactionAspectSupport.java:260)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:94)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.CglibAopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.intercept(CglibAopProxy.java:633)
at fi.testcenter.service.ReportService$$EnhancerBySpringCGLIB$$5435a48.findUserOwnReportList(<generated>)
at fi.testcenter.web.SearchController.setupSearchHomePage(SearchController.java:77)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:215)
at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:132)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle(ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:104)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.invokeHandleMethod(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:745)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.handleInternal(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:686)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.handle(AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.java:80)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:925)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:856)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:953)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:844)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:829)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1221)
at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:330)
at org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:118)
at org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:84)
at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:342)
at org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:113)
at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:342)
at org.springframework.security.web.session.SessionManagementFilter.doFilter(SessionManagementFilter.java:103)
at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AnonymousAuthenticationFilter.java:113)
at org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:154)
at org.springframework.security.web.savedrequest.RequestCacheAwareFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheAwareFilter.java:45)
at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.www.BasicAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(BasicAuthenticationFilter.java:150)
at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.java:199)
at org.springframework.security.web.authentication.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:110)
at org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPersistenceFilter.java:87)
at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilterInternal(FilterChainProxy.java:192)
at org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:160)
at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:343)
at org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:260)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1212)
at org.springframework.web.filter.HiddenHttpMethodFilter.doFilterInternal(HiddenHttpMethodFilter.java:77)
at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1212)
at org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)
at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:107)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:399)
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:766)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:450)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:928)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:549)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:410)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.security.PrivilegedAccessHelper.invokeConstructor(PrivilegedAccessHelper.java:389)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReportQueryResult.buildResult(ReportQueryResult.java:121)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReportQueryResult.<init>(ReportQueryResult.java:78)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReportQuery.buildObject(ReportQuery.java:593)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReportQuery.buildObjects(ReportQuery.java:644)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReportQuery.executeDatabaseQuery(ReportQuery.java:847)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.DatabaseQuery.execute(DatabaseQuery.java:899)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.execute(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:1114)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ReadAllQuery.execute(ReadAllQuery.java:402)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.ObjectLevelReadQuery.executeInUnitOfWork(ObjectLevelReadQuery.java:1202)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.UnitOfWorkImpl.internalExecuteQuery(UnitOfWorkImpl.java:2894)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1797)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1779)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1744)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.QueryImpl.executeReadQuery(QueryImpl.java:258)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.QueryImpl.getResultList(QueryImpl.java:468)
... 78 more

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What are you doing on or around this line:
fi.testcenter.service.ReportService.findUserOwnReportList(ReportService.java:269)

(which I assume is your code?)

Jarno Virta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Its just the getResultList() call. So when that call is executed, the constructor method of the result class is called as specified in the JPA query and for some reason that call goes wrong. I have copy-pasted below the database service method which causes the exception. The constructor just sets the relevant properties and does nothing more.

What the method below does is it finds the reports the logged-in user has created and returns a list of objects which are used for showing a report list to the user. The objects that are created only certain of the reports' properties bacause the actual report objects are quite large.

Dave Tolls
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
O.
Are you sure all the parameters passed to ReportQueryObject are of the correct type?

Jarno Virta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes. And as I said, just switching the place of one of the arguments at random, in both the SELECT query's NEW and the class' constructor arguments, fixes the problem. For that reason I was thinking might the query be cached somehow and maybe there was a change in datatype or something and maybe that might cause a problem with how the constructor call is made...? When I was poking around with this, just removing any of the arguments or adding an argument fixed the problem and switching back to the original argument list made the problem reappear. I also modified the database service method by removing the NEW call and I took the complete reports from the database, then looped through them and called the constructor for ReportQueryObject class for each report instance with the same exact properties as in the original query's argument list. That too worked without any problem. Weird...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jarno Virta wrote:Yes. And as I said, just switching the place of one of the arguments at random, in both the SELECT query's NEW and the class' constructor arguments, fixes the problem. For that reason I was thinking might the query be cached somehow and maybe there was a change in datatype or something and maybe that might cause a problem with how the constructor call is made...? When I was poking around with this, just removing any of the arguments or adding an argument fixed the problem and switching back to the original argument list made the problem reappear. I also modified the database service method by removing the NEW call and I took the complete reports from the database, then looped through them and called the constructor for ReportQueryObject class for each report instance with the same exact properties as in the original query's argument list. That too worked without any problem. Weird...

I've got the same problem and the only solution is to replace arguments for constructor of Report class.
Maybe anyone could give a hint how to avoid this bug?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic