• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

When to use Concurrent HashMap and when to choose HashTable.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Both concurrent HashMap and HashTable are used in a synchronized context. How to choose which one to use.
thanks

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Monica Shiralkar wrote:
Both concurrent HashMap and HashTable are used in a synchronized context. How to choose which one to use.
thanks

What do you mean by both ConcurrentHashMap and HashTable are used in a synchronized context? Are you talking about your use of the objects, or implying something about the internal implementations of the objects? ConcurrentHashMap does not use synchronization to lock the object for all accesses. Read operations will never block, and as far as I can tell from the Javadoc it's possible that write operations won't block either depending on how many are occurring at the same time. All operations are thread safe, but the behaviour will not be the same as HashTable. From the ConcurrentHashMap Javadoc:

This class is fully interoperable with Hashtable in programs that rely on its thread safety but not on its synchronization details

If threads are reading from a ConcurrentHashMap at the same time as another thread is performing an aggregate operation (such as putAll) then it is possible that the reading thread will see only part of the putAll operation (it won't be atomic), whereas in HashTable the operation will be atomic because of the synchronization. ConcurrentHashMap does not provide an in-build method to lock the entire object.

So if your map will only ever be read from then I'd say go for ConcurrentHashMap. If it will be read and updated from separate threads and you need aggregate operations to be atomic then go for HashTable, otherwise again I'd say go for ConcurrentHashMap.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You also have the difference that Hashtable doesn't support nulls.

Monica Shiralkar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks

Mike. J. Thompson
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ConcurrentHashMap does not support nulls either.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mike. J. Thompson wrote:ConcurrentHashMap does not support nulls either.

Wow. All these years of using ConcurrentHashMap, and I didn't know that. I guess I never needed to have nulls either...

Have a cow,
Henry

Mike. J. Thompson
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To be honest I wasn't aware either until I read the Javadoc today. It throws a NullPointerException if either the key or value are null.

Thanks for the cow!

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mike. J. Thompson wrote:To be honest I wasn't aware either until I read the Javadoc today. It throws a NullPointerException if either the key or value are null.

Thanks for the cow!

javadoc is your friend. It came with java 1.0 too ;-)

Too many times have I had to resort to the sources although when available in third party libraries because no javadoc avail.

But definetely, javadoc was cool when it came out.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Class java.util.Hashtable is a legacy collection class, from before Java version 1.2. You shouldn't use it at all.

Just use a regular HashMap, and if you need synchronization, use ConcurrentHashMap. But do read about the thread safety of ConcurrentHashMap before you use it, so you understand what it means.

A.J. Côté
Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:Class java.util.Hashtable is a legacy collection class, from before Java version 1.2. You shouldn't use it at all.

Just use a regular HashMap, and if you need synchronization, use ConcurrentHashMap. But do read about the thread safety of ConcurrentHashMap before you use it, so you understand what it means.

Jee, learn about synchronized statement first. We normally use specific Object to synchronize and monitor, not the instance nor the the class (static) monitor to handle things.

Usually, for best performance, we rather synchronize on our own defined monitors.

Nothing is magic.

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

A.J. Côté wrote:

Jesper de Jong wrote:Class java.util.Hashtable is a legacy collection class, from before Java version 1.2. You shouldn't use it at all.

Jee, learn about synchronized statement first. We normally use specific Object to synchronize and monitor, not the instance nor the the class (static) monitor to handle things.

Usually, for best performance, we rather synchronize on our own defined monitors.

Nothing is magic.

Gee. Learn about the concurrency API first. Synchronized is old hat. Use locks and conditions.

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Stephan van Hulst wrote:

A.J. Côté wrote:

Gee. Learn about the concurrency API first. Synchronized is old hat. Use locks and conditions.

Also, the ConcurrentHashMap has lots of features that enables "performance" -- segmentation, reader/writer locks, and of course, the locking is done optimistically. If you are wrapping it around a synchronized object, this definitely doesn't achieve "best performance".

Henry

Mike. J. Thompson
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

A.J. Côté wrote:

Nothing is magic.

Synchronization reduces performance by a very large amount. It is much much better to use non-blocking thread safety techniques wherever possible. The synchronized keyword is not quite as out-of-date as the wait/notify methods on Object, but I'd say not too far behind.

I occasionally use locking if I am being very lazy and do not care about performance. I also use locks for Conditionals when I need inter-thread communication. But that's about it.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic