• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Projects

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey all! I'm new. Possibly nobody can help me but I'm hoping you can!

I am currently studying for the java exam. I'm definitely a beginner but I have an (old) history with programming. So in other words I can read the code quite easily, and can do basic coding with a little help from google … but I am having a heck of a time with reading this book and studying. I fail, quite miserably, every single chapter quiz. When I read the chapters everything makes perfect sense but when I get to the end I still fail the quiz. The thing is that I have a HORRENDOUS memory unless I'm doing something. I don't remember what I read/see/hear. I remember what I do. So I'm wondering if there are small projects out there anywhere that would nicely cover the topics for the exam. I haven't had to study for a test since I graduated college. It's not very much fun. :P

Thanks!!

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch

Which exam are you sitting? When? Which book is it?

Yes, there are all sorts of projects you can do. Find a charity/society/club/sports team near you who want a database of their membership. Write the database. Get it working. Run a connection to the database. Get the database working from a Java® app. Put a Swing or JavaFX GUI atop it so they can run their database themselves.
Search this forum and this one for “project” because lots of people ask such questions and you will get ideas from what they said.

Danielle Rutter
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Campbell! Thanks for replying! I will do a search for that. I am studying for is the Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 Programmer Exam … and I'm using the official study guide here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R04DF3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o01_

I'm not signed up yet. I figured I would sign up when I'm ready.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic