• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which Java edition is used to build android applications?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi.
I am a bit confused. There are three editions of Java. They are Standard Edition, Micro Edition and Enterprise edition. The Sun certification for micro edition is titled "Sun Certified Mobile Application Developer". The name suggests that Java ME is used for building mobile applications. But When I watched some video tutorials, I saw that they used Java Standard edition for android app development.

Please kindly tell me which edition of Java is used to build android applications. Standard edition or micro edition?

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, it's not Java, it's Dalvik.

The difference between Java editions has to do with the set of classes that edition is based on. The actual compilable language is the same, regardless.

The Android base class library is a stripped-down clone of the Java Standard Edition classes, but it itself is not those classes. The J2SE, J2ME and J2EE classes are all Oracle/Sun products and the Android/Dalvik classes come from Google.

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you're interested in certifications, there are none at this point. And if there were any, they'd come from Google, not Oracle. Are you interested in certifications or development?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic