• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Blending image colors into another color

Greenhorn
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello my name is magnus, and i wanna begin with saying im new in this forum, so i apologize if i break some rule or posted in the wrong sub forum thank you for understanding

at the moment im making an application in java (SE 8) the application uses paintComponent to draw subimages of the transparant font file (mage below)

it then draws on the screen (image below) in colors

now.. theres nothing specifically wrong with my code, HOWEVER to change color on the fonts (from white to X color), im going through an incredibly SLOW method, and this litteraly takes paintComponent 200 to 400 ms, which as you might guess.. is the reason why im here, the current code im using to draw the entire screen is

my parameters is the bufferedImage and a color, either Color.COLOR or new Color()

and what i'd like is a speeded up alternative to change all the white pixels on the image to the specified colors, my java teacher told me something about palette swapping, however i dont find much about that on google
any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you.

~ Magnus

Rancher
Netbeans IDE Oracle MySQL Database Tomcat Server C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My question is why switch at all? The map you present seems like it is not very large, so why not offer a limited color choice and have each map already colored?

As an alternate thought, why not color each of the characters before it is rendered rather than doing the entire map?

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Magnus Gunnarsson wrote:my java teacher told me something about palette swapping, however i dont find much about that on google

I don't either, but Graphics#setXORMode(...) may be a close fit.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi Magnus,

a couple of years ago I rewrote an old Basic program in Java. That program was about a lot of cirkels
growing in size and melting into one another. I did that by constantly changing the color palette . That
was very easy to do in that Basic. In this topic:

https://coderanch.com/t/652409/GUI/java/Circle-Oval-increase-size-timer#3015749

you can see what I was after, although in that demo the cirkels do overlap.

In Java, it was much harder. The only way I managed was by using BufferedImages of
TYPE_BYTE_INDEXED and a suitable colormodel. Unfortunately, it looks like the colormodel
of a BI is immutable. So, to get the effect of palette changes, I needed to create multiple BI's.

Have a look at the following demo.

In this demo, I create a normal type_argb BI, and I draw filled cirkels into it. Then I create
a BI of type byte_indexed, with 1 bit per pixel, and two colors: a transparant color and a
second color. Next I draw my normal argb_BI into it, forcing all the colored pixels to get a
pixel value of 1 in my byte_indexed BI.

After that, I constantly create a new BI, again type_indexed, only with the color that I want,
and I copy the raster of my current indexed BI into this. Then I paint this new index BI into my panel.
I guess this sounds a lot more complex than it is. You could do the same, by creating a
type_byte_indexed BI, the same size as your font-image, and then following the strategy that I used.

Is there any particular reason why you write strings in this very complex way?

Here is the demo code.

Greetz,
Piet

Magnus Gunnarsson
Greenhorn
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Les Morgan, this is gonna be a library and thus i want asmuch features as possible, including all 16mil colors
Piet Souris, yeah it looks incredibly complex, the reason i write strings like this is because i wanna have.. kinda a tileset font that can be very easily exchanged into another less or more graphical font, its kinda the whole idea with this ^^

i decided to maybe just save all tiles, for example when drawing a .. green T, it would be saved in a hashmao, this.. slow yeah, but it appered to work fairly well

but Piet Souris, i'll definetly look into your example! i appreciate everyones help greatly

thank you
- magnus

Shiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic