• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is the HAS-A relationship transitive? (K&B7, OCP Mock Exam 1)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
CD mock exams, objective 3, OCP Exam 1, question 2
Answer D, "Woop has-a Hmpf and Woop has-a Zing" is not marked correct
=>
- Woop has-a Hmpf: Woop is-a Zing and Zing has-a Hmpf, so this one should be true
- Woop has-a Zing: Woop is-a Zing, Zing has-a Hmpf and Hmpf has-a Zing, so this one should be also true

As much as I am aware, has-a is transitive, i.e. when A has-a B and B has-a C, then A has-a C
I have now checked and there has been already a debate about this on coderanch almost a decade ago
https://coderanch.com/t/252978/java-programmer-SCJP/certification/relation-transitive
where the conclusion seemed to be not transitive
but see also e.g. K&B OCP JAVA 6 (310-065) Practice Exams book from 2010, practice exam I, question 54, where the correct answers assume has-a being transitive ("Jookers have Strings indirectly through Bostrons")

(This post originated in the K&B7 errata thread)

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Before I'm adding this to the errata overview, I like to know what's the opinion of other ranchers about this topic.

Unlike the IS-A relationship, for me the HAS-A relationship is not transitive. Maybe the majority of the ranchers has a different opinion about this statement and I have to change mine. The reason why the HAS-A relationship is not transitive according to me can be illustrated very easily with this code snippet (using reflection)For me an Animal has one String (name), Lion has also one String (nickname) and CrazyZoo has a List of Animals (animals), but it doesn't have a String (nor a List of Strings).

And I think Java agrees with me (here's the reflection)Output:

Hope to get plenty of opinions about this topic!

Kind regards,
Roel

PS. Reflection is not on the OCP exam, it was used for demonstration purposes only.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's pretty clear to me that "has-a" is not transitive. I have a computer; a computer has a CPU. But I don't have a CPU... unless you get to throw in that weasel word "indirectly", which doesn't seem right to me. But you'd really have to go and find out how "composition" or "has-a" is defined for the purpose of the exam to determine whether you can throw in that "indirectly". After a bit of web-searching it seems to me that people writing about composition assume that you already know what they are talking about.

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We haven't noticed any one being tested on transitivity aspect of has-a. So from exam perspective, well, you don't have to worry about this "indirect" business wrt has-a.

But a more relevant conundrum is the combination of is-a and has-a. If a super class has-a something, does the subclass also has-a that thing?

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Anilprem wrote:But a more relevant conundrum is the combination of is-a and has-a. If a super class has-a something, does the subclass also has-a that thing?

And does it make a difference if that something is public, protected, package-private or private?

For me the HAS-A relationship depends on the declared fields (and methods). So the Lion class HAS-A nickname but not a name. And it doesn't make a difference if name would have been protected or public. Although the Lion class would inherit the name field (if it was protected or public), it HAS-NOT-A name. It's the Animal class which HAS-A name and thus can decide to change name to name2, something which is not possible for the Lion class.

There were millions of the little blood suckers. But thanks to this tiny ad, I wasn't bitten once.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic