• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How are games made

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I want to know how big 3d games are made with any programming language like java or without coding using some software , i got to know that there are softwares available to make games but then what is the use of coding.

Saloon Keeper
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Most modern games are built on top of 3D engines that have grown and improved over the years. I don't think any of them are built from scratch.

They are like libraries that you can use within your application, so you still need to write code that is custom to your own game. They just take all the hard stuff like 3D rendering and effects out of your hands.

For a nice game engine for Java, look at jMonkeyEngine.

jeevansai jinne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Could you elaborate please

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not really. Do you have a specific question?

jeevansai jinne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I mean are the new java libraries developed specific for the game engine or universal.

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I mean are the new java libraries developed specific for the game engine or universal.

I don't understand what you mean here.

jeevansai jinne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
New java game libraries are developed for easy game making , are the developed libraries seperate for every game engine or same for all

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can't say without knowing what libraries you're talking about.

I don't think the creators of 'game makers' really make separate libraries for different engines, because it doesn't make sense for them to "support" different ones. Engines support games, games don't support engines.

jeevansai jinne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Then why to use game engines if i can make code on normal editor like netbeans

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you're confused. An IDE is different from an engine. An engine is a library used to build 3D applications on top of. An IDE is 'just an editor'.

Without a 3D engine, you would have to write all the code that renders 3D graphics yourself. That's a monumental task. Maybe you could, but by yourself it would definitely take a couple of years or even decades.

jeevansai jinne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
but i can import libraries as done with swing ,awt

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, and you can also import 3D engine packages for Java that are more powerful than Swing and AWT.

jeevansai jinne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So now what would you suggest to use game engine or by importing libraries for beginner in game making.

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It completely depends on your requirements.

If you want your game to be in a nicely rendered 3D world with great graphical effects then the standard API isn't going to cut it. For this case, I already suggested jMonkeyEngine.

However, since you're new to 3D graphics, an engine like that is going to be incredibly difficult to learn to use. As a matter of fact, it's probably best to first get the hang of proper 2D graphics rendering. For a simple game, Swing is more than capable of drawing simple custom graphics.

Did you have an idea for a project?

jeevansai jinne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
no could you suggest some

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Have you tried making a board game, such as Checkers or anything specific you enjoy playing? You can use Swing to render it in a frame. Start with bird's eye perspective, and when you feel more confident, you can try rendering the game in isometric view. This will give you some appreciation of what a 3D engine will do for you when you move to a full blown 3D application.

Rancher
Netbeans IDE Oracle MySQL Database Tomcat Server C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I read your question and have to ask: What experience have you had in programming so far?

If you are starting out by saying I want to make a MMORPG and you have never done any programming, you are kind of saying I want to be an automotive engineer and I am going to start by making a 2016 MyCar. Realistically: not going to happen.

The point of coding is that everything you see on the computer has been developed and built upon by countless numbers of coders, designers, and engineers. Where in this throng do you fit in.

To start off game programming is to start off programming--typically "Hello World!" and progress from there.

Eventually you will be to the point where you are developing a 2D game and say: Hey, I am sure somebody made a utility to allow me to do walls without having to generate all the code and render them myself. At that point you seek a game engine to assist you in your efforts--and put up with their idiosyncrasies and release dates for bug fixes and how that drives changes into what you are doing.

Possibly at some point in time you might say: Hey, I'm tired of my worlds being flat, conceptually--because your screen is 2D so your 3D model has to be simulated. Then your decide to skew your world's view according to a mathematical model and boom--3D is born. But you say, Isn't there some easier way of doing this and you look for a 3D engine to model your world. -- and put up with their idiosyncrasies and release dates for bug fixes and how that drives changes into what you are doing.

Some where along the line you say to yourself: Oh boy! I should have paid attention in Math, Algebra, Geometry, Physics, and Trigonometry--so you say: did anyone do this and did they make a utility to implement my world and thoughts.

Well, the answer is yes, but you still have to know how to program to put it all together.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
first you need a "game engine", you can code one or use an existing one. then you need utilities to create the game assets with, these tools do not always come with the game engine and may need to be programmed. you will need a game level editor, texture/sprite editor, shader editor, script editor, 3d model/animation editor, etc. game developers use special file formats for technical reasons and to prevent people from tampering with their assets, file formats and file convertors may need to be programmed. after that, you need the game logic programmed, this is the one thing that absolutely must be programmed. the game logic is like the artificial intelligence of the characters, setting rules for the game, what happens when you push certain buttons... all that good stuff. some game engines allow you to do simple things without any programming, because they programmed generic templates for you. but you won't get very far without at least knowing how to create scripts. you will also need 2d/3d artists and animators, programming isn't enough. if you are new to creating games then start small.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic