• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Creating a new file and saving to a specified directory, all with user input (Java)

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I wrote a short script to create a file to my Desktop, and the file appeared. I just did it all in main, like so:

I just wanted to make sure the code worked, which it did. After that, I wanted to expand by creating a file with user input, as well as define which directory the user wished to send the file to. I'm on a Linux machine, and I wanted to send it to my Desktop again, so my user input was "/home/christopher/Desktop" for the userPath. Nothing happened. I even cd'd to my Desktop via terminal to "ls" everything there, and still nothing.

Perhaps my syntax is wrong?

If this is a duplicate of anything, my apologies. I tried to do a thorough search before coming here, but I only found info on creating files and sending files to directories that are already defined as a string (e.g. File myFile = new File("/home/User/Desktop/myFileName")).

Here is the expanded attempt:

My print statement for a debug attempt outputs "/home/christopher/Desktop", but not the file name appended to the directory.

Thanks for any help offered. This is just for experimentation while learning Java I/O. Since a hypothetical user may not be on the same OS as me, I can work on those methods later. I'm keeping it on my home machine, hence the Unix filepath names.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Postgres Database VI Editor Chrome Java Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try using input.next() instead of input.nextLine(). I suspect that the if statement is not being taken. You can add an else clause to the if also to verify this.

Christopher Sheridan
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
PLEASE tell me why in the world input.next() worked, but input.nextLine() did not? I thought when entering the file path, it is reading until the end of a line?

I don't know why I have so many bugs with the Scanner class. I have to fire empty input.nextLines often, change to input.next(), etc etc. Silly Scanner has the dumb.

Anyway, that worked like a charm. Now I can expand my code further so it's not platform dependent. Thank you so much. You wouldn't believe how long I've been trying to get this to work!

Knute Snortum
Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Postgres Database VI Editor Chrome Java Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, Scanner has some real quirks.

Scanner#nextLine() does not consume the trailing newline character when you hit return or enter. This newline stays in the buffer and then is consumed by the next nextXXX method (nextLine, nextInt, etc.) and therefore skips any entry you try to make.

I always use next() to get the next String. I only use nextLine() for situations like, "Press <enter> to continue".

Christopher Sheridan
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you. I completely understand what you said.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can't understand why nextLine didn't work. Please show us the exact input. Did you write Y and nothing else? If you write “Y ” the space will be included in the next line and that will make the input not equal.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try nextLine().charAt(0) instead which will give the char 'Y'. You will need the == operator rather than equals.

I wish to win the lottery. I wish for a lovely piece of pie. And I wish for a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic