• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

15 years of non-progressive experience with Java and .Net - Advise on next steps

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Anthony,
Congratulations for coming out with a useful book for Java Fraternity.

I am a Tech lead with 10 years of experience in Industry. Have a peculiar sub-ordinate who need advise on charting out his career - He is 15 years experienced on Java & .Net, Lotus Domino, and few Scripting languages including REXX. Thing is , he has got non-progressive career, since he has not got opportunities to work on New projects i.e., from the scratch coding, and always has been on Maintenance type of works and lacks motivation in knowing concepts beyond his job demands. So has never taken any training, nor learnt anything on own, nor had done any certifications. I am supposed to be his mentor, and help him chart out his next steps towards scaling up on Java technologies. I had asked him small exercises to code, which he finishes not by thinking on own but only googling and copying pasting. He will only come out with functional code that works, but is not efficient by performance, does not confirm to module design. Point is he does'nt read and learn, nor understand best practices and I see myself wasting a lot of time in making him understand basic things.

After trying out everything, I have asked him to take a call and move away from Java technologies which is not able to catch up with nor ramp up to. He is very good at mathematics, so was suggesting him get trained in Data Science, Business Analytics.

Would like to know your opinion / suggestions for such a Professional.
Thanks in advance.

Ishita

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ishita,

Thats a very interesting question! I have certainly met people like your subordinate, who program because they have to, rather than because they want to. However, I don't believe that he doesn't have any opportunities to work on new projects. A person who truly enjoys their job will make new projects, whether its for a company or in their spare time.

But its a frustrating scenario, because I have felt that the more I learned about the language, the more I enjoyed working with it and applying that knowledge. I have often wondered if those types of people would follow the same path if they only learned more. But the more I think about it, I didn't learn more because I was forced to, I learned more because I wanted to. If they don't want to learn, there is not much you can for them.

On the other hand, it could just be that he is bored and that solving random exercises doesn't interest him. It would be an interesting test to see if he could write code that would solve or lessen some of the work he is doing. For instance, a program to automatically test something that he tests manually, so he at least feels some utility to these things he is writing. I obviously don't know much about his day to day work, but I can tell if he copy/pastes the answers to your problems, he at least enjoys solving problems in the laziest way possible haha. Maybe you can find a way to put that to use!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic