• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JMS - Cannot retrieve message from queue. Happens intermittently.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We have a Java class that listens to a database (Oracle) queue table and process it if there are records placed in that queue. It worked normally in UAT and development environments. Upon deployment in production, there are times when it cannot read a record from the queue. When a record is inserted, it cannot detect it and the records remain in the queue. This seldom happens but it happens. If I would give statistic, out of 30 records queued in a day, about 8 don't make it. We would need to restart the whole app for it to be able to read the records.

Here is a code snippet of my class..

Weird thing we cant find any traces of exceptions from the logs.

Can anyone help? by the way we set the receiveTimeout to 10 secs

Ranch Hand
Android Angular Framework Spring AngularJS Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am not familiar with whatever tech you are using, but it might be easier to diagnose if you add some more information.

For instance, you say 8/30 don't make it. Does that mean a record will "remain" in the queue. Does that mean a record is skipped, or does the whole queue just stop? No progress until you restart, or just those records ignored until you restart?

Also, what kind of server are you using for JMS? If you get more specific about all the technology involved, it might be easier to diagnose.
Sorry I am not being more help.

alrem mashayekhi
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

For instance, you say 8/30 don't make it. Does that mean a record will "remain" in the queue. Does that mean a record is skipped, or does the whole queue just stop? No progress until you restart, or just those records ignored until you restart?

Records will remain in queue until the runnable application is restarted. When the application is restarted, it will now be able to read records that was placed in the queue.

Also, what kind of server are you using for JMS? If you get more specific about all the technology involved, it might be easier to diagnose.
Sorry I am not being more help.

We use Oracle 11g queue tables. Our application which reads from the queue is a runnable standalone java application.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic