• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCP 6 to OCP 7 upgrade OR OCP 8 Upgrade

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I passed OCP 6 in 2011 and now working on an upgrade exam.

I am using Java 7 at work (and quite familiar with it), I thought of passing 1Z0-805 (Java 7 Upgrade), followed by 1Z0-810 (Java 7 to 8 upgrade).
Studying for Java 8 will take few months for me.

But then I noticed that Oracle has stopped SE 7 public releases since April 2015 - essentially its EOL.
Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap

Just wondering - as Java 7 is EOL - is it even worth to certify OR I should just concentrate on 1Z0-813 (Java 6 to 8 Upgrade Exam)

Thanks!

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Caprica,
Welcome to CodeRanch! I moved this to the cert forum for you since you accidentally posted in the wiki forum.

I recommend taking the Java 6 to 8 upgrade exam. That way you are only paying for one upgrade exam and getting yourself to current. Plus Scott & my book covers the upgrade exam so now there is study material for it . Seriously though. You have the Java 6 cert. So you can show on resumes that you are certified. Which means the value of upgrading is to show you are up to date (Java 8 helps more with that) and for personal learning (which you'll get either way.)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jeanne, I am trying to prepare for the Java 8 upgrade exam (I already hold SCJP 1.4 certification from ages ago)

Will your book include sections for the upgrade exam as well? Is it possible to highlight the chapters that I would need to study?

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes. The table of contents maps what you need to read for both of the upgrade exams. We also have an appendix of additional material that is on the Java 6 to Java 8 upgrade exam, but not the "core" Java 8 exam. (Yes, there are extra topics on the upgrade exam that aren't on the main exam. Weird, we know.)

Caprica Shah
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Caprica,
Welcome to CodeRanch! I moved this to the cert forum for you since you accidentally posted in the wiki forum.

I recommend taking the Java 6 to 8 upgrade exam. That way you are only paying for one upgrade exam and getting yourself to current. Plus Scott & my book covers the upgrade exam so now there is study material for it . Seriously though. You have the Java 6 cert. So you can show on resumes that you are certified. Which means the value of upgrading is to show you are up to date (Java 8 helps more with that) and for personal learning (which you'll get either way.)

Thanks, you made it easy for me to decide.
I already purchased OCP Java 7 Book from Kathy Sierra and have been reading it. I will purchase your book too to cover Java 8 portion.
Just one question - I am very comfortable reading from PDF (on iPad and desktop). But I read on this forum somewhere that your book doesn't come with PDF. Is content in Kindle version exactly same?. Just want to make sure I will not be missing anything. Or is there way to get PDF copy?

Thanks again!

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Caprica,
The print book does not come with a PDF. The Kindle edition is the same as the print edition. Both come with access to the online materials (bonus exams, flashcards, etc). So if you prefer an e-book, you should buy the e-book .

With respect to K&B 7, that is an excellent book. You might find the table on this page to be useful. It shows which objectives you can read from a Java 7 book. That way you can see what parts of K&B 7 to read.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic