• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCPJP8 time management

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jeanne and Scott,

Do you recommend skipping questions to tackle the easier ones first and then moving on to the questions that require a lot of time investment?

or just tackle them as they come in the exam? I have heard about bugs which may erase the answers once we review. Personally I prefer the first strategy but I don't want to mess up my exam by choosing it.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We have an entire appendix devoted to test taking skills in both of our books. Since all questions cost the same, you can definitely skip harder/longer questions to finish shorter ones... But it depends how much time you've already spent reading it.

For example, if you spend 60 seconds reading a question only to discover it is a hard one, you're better off finishing it then coming back to it later where you might have to spend another 60 seconds remembering what it was about. Usually if it's hard, I eliminate 1-2 choices, make my best guess at an answer, then mark it to come back to later.

Remember, you have less than 2 minutes per question total, so every second counts! While some questions will certainly be easier, others will not.

I haven't personally encountered any bugs with the software, although I did have the power go out at my test taking center for a few minutes! Luckily, everything was saved and I picked up right where I left off. Did take 10 minutes to reboot the computers though.

Venkat Jayaraman
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the reply Scott.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The answer removing bug you are referring to was only for drag and drop questions. These are no longer on the exam so you don't have to worry about going back to questions.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic