• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Image from Amazon
Title: Core Java, Volume II--Advanced Features, 9th Edition
Author(s): Cay S. Horstmann and Gary Cornell
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Category: Advanced Java

Summary

Prentice Hall wrote:Fully updated to reflect Java SE 7 language changes, Core Java®, Volume II—Advanced Features, Ninth Edition, is the definitive guide to Java’s most powerful features for enterprise and desktop application development.

Designed for serious programmers, this reliable, unbiased, no-nonsense tutorial illuminates advanced Java language and library features with thoroughly tested code examples. As in previous editions, all code is easy to understand and displays modern best-practice solutions to the realworld challenges faced by professional developers.

Volume II quickly brings you up-to-speed on key Java SE 7 enhancements, ranging from the new file I/O API to improved concurrency utilities. All code examples are updated to reflect these enhancements. Complete descriptions of new language and platform features are highlighted and integrated with insightful explanations of advanced Java programming techniques. You’ll learn all you need to build robust production software with

* Streams, files, and regular expressions
* XML
* Networking
* Database programming facilities
* JNDI/LDAP directory integration
* Internationalization
* Advanced Swing techniques
* JavaBeans components
* Web services
* Advanced platform security features
* Annotations
* Distributed objects
* Native methods, and more

For detailed coverage of fundamental Java SE 7 features, including objects, classes, inheritance, interfaces, reflection, events, exceptions, graphics, Swing, generics, collections, concurrency, and debugging, look for Core Java™, Volume I—Fundamentals, Ninth Edition (ISBN-13: 978-0-13-708189-9).

Book Preview (when available)

From the publisher
  • Chapter 10: Scripting, Compiling, and Annotation Processing (HTML or PDF)

• Where to get it?
  • Amazon.com
  • InformIT

• Related Websites
  • Webpage: Core Java
  • COMMENTS:

Bartender
    IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring Chrome Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
      Number of slices to send:
      Optional 'thank-you' note:
    • Report post to moderator
    Rating: I give this book 9 out of 10 horseshoes

I always liked the approach Cay S. Horstmann takes in the examples in his Core Java books. He tries to follow good practices in all his examples which includes better naming convention, documentation and comments, identifying right classes. This book, Core Java Volume-2, is no different. You find examples which are in themselves mini applications. You dont find toy programs which illustrate the feature and do some printing on the console. The examples themselves include different concepts across Java.

There are very interesting topics covered in this book like: Steams and Files, XML processing, JDBC, Network Programming, Scripting and Annotations, Security, JNI, Advanced Swing and AWT. I see that few chapters which were originally in Volume-2 have been moved to volume-1 namely multithreading and collections. I see a very exhaustive coverage on Swing and AWT, what I feel missing is the coverage of JavaFX features for which I think a chapter would suffice. Not to forget this book covers the Java 7 features as well.

Otherwise this book covers lot of stuff and I would recommend to use it as a reference to pick chapters as and when you want to explore those features. Reading end-to-end may not be necessary because most likely we would not be using all of those features in one place together. Reading end-to-end might be an overkill as well owing to the number of pages.

Bottom line: Highly recommend book in your bookshelf of Java references.

---
    Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic